Separate or leave be?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look great! What did you decide?

If it were mine, I would create two new compots. One with the larger seedlings and one with the smaller seedlings. They are clearly thriving. Giving the larger ones more room would allow better air movement around the seedlings. Giving the smaller ones more room gives them better access to light as the larger ones are not going to shade them out.

I started leaving things in compot longer. I find they are performing better than when I move into single pots more quickly. As an under waterer, it's easier for me to keep the moisture levels in the compots balanced for these smaller seedlings. Everyone has a way that works best for them.

Those look great! What did you decide?

If it were mine, I would create two new compots. One with the larger seedlings and one with the smaller seedlings. They are clearly thriving. Giving the larger ones more room would allow better air movement around the seedlings. Giving the smaller ones more room gives them better access to light as the larger ones are not going to shade them out.

I started leaving things in compot longer. I find they are performing better than when I move into single pots more quickly. As an under waterer, it's easier for me to keep the moisture levels in the compots balanced for these smaller seedlings. Everyone has a way that works best for them.

I ended up separating them. I moved the three largest to individual pots, then sorted by size and made some more compots. I'm doubtful the really tiny one will survive, but all in all I got around 60 plants from the compot counting those little ones!

Attachments

• 1724603652565.png
    1724603652565.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1724603664026.png
    1724603664026.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1724603672302.png
    1724603672302.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1724603680700.png
    1724603680700.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
60 is a HUGE number of seedlings. You’ll really need to keep the moisture up on those little ones. Everyone does it differently, but personally I would have used sphagnum moss with the smallest compot. That said, there is no right and wrong way but rather what works for you.

I ended up separating them. I moved the three largest to individual pots, then sorted by size and made some more compots. I'm doubtful the really tiny one will survive, but all in all I got around 60 plants from the compot counting those little ones!

Don't count the tiny ones out! They could make it! I have deflasked many delenatii flask in the last couple of years!

60 is a HUGE number of seedlings. You’ll really need to keep the moisture up on those little ones. Everyone does it differently, but personally I would have used sphagnum moss with the smallest compot. That said, there is no right and wrong way but rather what works for you.
I have no drainage in the smallest compots so there is always about 0.5 cm of water at the bottom.

Back