Difficulties locating AzaMax- substitutes?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on recommendations from members of the group, I recently purchased a container of Azamax and completed a second round of spraying for thrips. I’m now on the hunt for more to finish the third treatment. There appears to be a shortage of it because I had some difficulties locating it a couple of weeks ago, and the few companies that were carrying it were asking far more than companies with no inventory.

Does anyone know of something going on with it? And any suggestions for an alternative? I’m seeing Azapro and Debug turbo listed as possible alternatives, but would love to use something that others have used safely on orchids.

Last edited:
Based on recommendations from members of the group, I recently purchased a container of Azamax and completed a second round of spraying for thrips. I’m now on the hunt for more to finish the third treatment. There appears to be a shortage of it because I had some difficulties locating it a couple of weeks ago, and the few companies that were carrying it were asking far more than companies with no inventory.

Does anyone know of something going on with it? And any suggestions for an alternative? I’m seeing Azapro and Debug turbo listed as possible alternatives, but would love to use something that others have used safely on orchids.

How much do you need? I haven't heard anything about a shortage, but looking online real quick, I can see that it's out of stock at several places I'd normally order it. I do have some left over, so if you can't find a suitable substitute and desperately need some AzaMax, I could potentially spare some.

I don't use the stuff often and I typically use it in conjunction with other treatments like an IGR or a standard synthetic pyrethroid. For something like thrips, I'd be inclined to use something systemic. I don't like to use systemics or neonicotinoids outdoors in my garden, but I will for indoor house plants under certain circumstances.

This is troubling, it really has been my go to for a few years now. Hopefully the issue is resolved. Prior to Azamax, I was using a product called Growsafe that a friend recommended, that also worked indoors. At the time I was mainly fighting mites.

Totally different control mechanism, but you might consider giving OrganiShield a try as a safe alternative.

It is a new release of what used to be sold as SucraShield, which is a solution of sucrose octanoate esters that - rather than a toxin, per se - acts as a "super surfactant" to strip protective layers off soft-bodied insects and mites, adults, juveniles, and eggs, leading to suffocation/desiccation on contact.

Totally different control mechanism, but you might consider giving OrganiShield a try as a safe alternative.

It is a new release of what used to be sold as SucraShield, which is a solution of sucrose octanoate esters that - rather than a toxin, per se - acts as a "super surfactant" to strip protective layers off soft-bodied insects and mites, adults, juveniles, and eggs, leading to suffocation/desiccation on contact.

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I had actually used the OrganiShield once before going to the AzaMax and plants were looking better but I decided to hit everything with three rounds of the AzaMax since I’d found thrips on a recent purchase and wanted to get them knocked out. My intent going forward was to start spraying any new purchases with it as a preventative in order to hopefully avoid having to treat the entire collection again anytime soon.

For those of you who use a systemic along with AzaMax to knock out thrips or mites, what are you using indoors? I saw a reference to Safari on one of the threads but it only mentions working as a suppressant for mites.

How much do you need? I haven't heard anything about a shortage, but looking online real quick, I can see that it's out of stock at several places I'd normally order it. I do have some left over, so if you can't find a suitable substitute and desperately need some AzaMax, I could potentially spare some.

I don't use the stuff often and I typically use it in conjunction with other treatments like an IGR or a standard synthetic pyrethroid. For something like thrips, I'd be inclined to use something systemic. I don't like to use systemics or neonicotinoids outdoors in my garden, but I will for indoor house plants under certain circumstances.

Thank you so much for the offer- that is most kind but you may need to stockpile it🙂. I was looking to purchase another 16 oz container since I need about half that for another treatment. I’m going to call a couple of the vendors today to see if they can tell me what is going on with supplies.

What systemic do you use indoors for mites/thrips? Someone mentioned that they had greater success when using both a systemic and Azax when treating thrips, but I wasn’t sure which systemic they were referring to.

I still have my bottle of SucraShield you sold me when talking to NCOS an lifetime ago. Might try this again.

IMG_5535.pngIMG_5536.pngThank you so much for the offer- that is most kind but you may need to stockpile it🙂. I was looking to purchase another 16 oz container since I need about half that for another treatment. I’m going to call a couple of the vendors today to see if they can tell me what is going on with supplies.

What systemic do you use indoors for mites/thrips? Someone mentioned that they had greater success when using both a systemic and Azax when treating thrips, but I wasn’t sure which systemic they were referring to.
I use Bonide Insect Control Systemic Granules and I also employ Safari, which is more expensive and I have to be a bit more careful with because I dissolve and spray it on roots directly with a small hand held spray bottle, very limited targeted amounts as needed for troubled plants. Attaching pictures for reference.

I’ve also found that going through the collection plant by plant and wiping down leaves with 70% iso alcohol once a year helps tremendously cleaning off dirt and dust collected by treatments., helping the leaves with overall function.

In addition, removing any old growth that is infested. Especially for scale in cattleyas. Removing old growth (poor relations) and repotting works very well at eliminating scale.. all the systemics only work for the active and new growth where the plant is allocating resources for the vegetation growth, the older growth has no systemic protection. This is done during repotting and I am not shy about throwing out infested back bulbs.

After a few seasons of this aggressive regiment, I’ve eliminated nearly all scale and thrips from the collection, I still have an annual battle with mites no matter how often I treat.

Hope this helps.

there are other brands of the same chemical (azadirachtin) in either the same concentration as azamax or other variations.. but you may need to buy a lot to get a decent cost point...

Azapro (1.2%)
Azaguard (3%)

Azasol - (6% instead 1.2%) - comes in a powder form with typically longer shelf life - thinking this is my next alternative but haven't looked at cost per dose
Azera but also has pyrethrins

also just noticed that amazon has azamax 4 oz from 2 sources...

I use Bonide Insect Control Systemic Granules and I also employ Safari, which is more expensive and I have to be a bit more careful with because I dissolve and spray it on roots directly with a small hand held spray bottle, very limited targeted amounts as needed for troubled plants. Attaching pictures for reference.

I’ve also found that going through the collection plant by plant and wiping down leaves with 70% iso alcohol once a year helps tremendously cleaning off dirt and dust collected by treatments., helping the leaves with overall function.

In addition, removing any old growth that is infested. Especially for scale in cattleyas. Removing old growth (poor relations) and repotting works very well at eliminating scale.. all the systemics only work for the active and new growth where the plant is allocating resources for the vegetation growth, the older growth has no systemic protection. This is done during repotting and I am not shy about throwing out infested back bulbs.

After a few seasons of this aggressive regiment, I’ve eliminated nearly all scale and thrips from the collection, I still have an annual battle with mites no matter how often I treat.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Pete. Most helpful. I’ll add Bonide to my toolkit. I grabbed a Safari equivalent as well.

there are other brands of the same chemical (azadirachtin) in either the same concentration as azamax or other variations.. but you may need to buy a lot to get a decent cost point...

Azapro (1.2%)
Azaguard (3%)

Azasol - (6% instead 1.2%) - comes in a powder form with typically longer shelf life - thinking this is my next alternative but haven't looked at cost per dose
Azera but also has pyrethrins

also just noticed that amazon has azamax 4 oz from 2 sources...

Thanks, Rich.

I spent some time calling around yesterday and was able to find the Azapro and Azaguard locally, so am going to try the Azapro but the Azasol powder looks appealing for the reasons you noted- will check it out.

I did speak to several hydroponic vendors and asked if they knew what was going on with the AzaMax. Everyone said that there had been supply issues with them for some months. A couple told me the that the product had been discontinued, two told me that there are labeling issues in California similar to what they’d had a couple of years ago, two told me that their supplier was out and not showing when it would be available and one told me that they were told it should be available by end of October but that they thought it would be closer to end of year…so nothing definitive.

Rich, I noticed that Amazon had some AzaMax listed, but the vendor is charging $90 for a 4oz and $190 for a 16oz. I gave about $80 incl shipping for a 16oz a couple of weeks ago. Looks like some vendors are taking advantage of the shortage- I found a few bottles of Azamax locally and it was a similar situation.

I use the St Aug OS pest control list of insecticides and I alternate those with different modes of action as Safari and Imidacloprid have same modes of action. For thrips, though, I’ve gone to their big gun (Overture (thrip specific) and simply spray the sheath just as buds are emerging. No thrips this year with this protocol. Only negative: I had to buy a lifetime supply (1 lb about $110 if memory serves) to get it, as it’s a commercial product. It comes in fine powder form in pre measured dissolvable 2oz bags for use in a large sprayer. I’ve only opened one of the packets and kept the rest sealed. I would be happy to sell, at cost, individual packets if someone wants to try it as there is no way I’ll ever use all of this. I sprayed first, 3 times, which eradicated them, then spritz sheaths only now. Here is the link to the St Aug info. I’ll update this with the price broken down by each packet when I can look it up. These pages are invaluable. If there is something you don’t recognize, send Sue a photo and she often can figure it out.
https://staugorchidsociety.org/culturepests.htm

Last edited:
Back