Some Fragrant Tillandsia species - Tillandsia mallemontii and Tillandsia streptocarpa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I went back and forth in terms of whether to post separate threads for these two species. They certainly deserve their own threads, but given that this forum is more geared towards orchids (and particularly slipper orchids) I opted to combine.

Tillandsia mallemontii

Tillandsia mallemontii might be described as a larger growing, purple flowered species that is otherwise very similar to Tillandsia usneoides (spanish moss). Please note that in this photo, most of the foliage actually is Spanish Moss, since that's what I grow the Aerangis biloba in and the T. mallemontii is basically just sitting on top.

I got this species from Tropiflora and chose it because it was listed as fragrant. To be honest, I was not expecting much, but the scent of these flowers honestly is far better than I had anticipated. The flowers are fragrant day and night, though they are most strongly scented at night. The fragrance is almost exactly the same as T. usneoides, which I typically describe as being very similar to Brugmansia. If you have never smelled the flowers of spanish moss or Brugmansia, it's a heavy, perfumey, tropical scent that is otherwise hard to describe. It's wonderful and strong!

Seems to be easy to grow. Tropiflora describes it as blooming off and on throughout the year, where large clumps are nearly always in bloom. That, so far, seems pretty accurate.

It's also nice that these are super vigorous in my care. Some grew in my cold greenhouse over winter and did just fine. Some grew indoors all year and did just fine. I don't feel like this is a picky plant. Just keep it hydrated and it seems to be happy.

tmal1.jpg

tmal2.jpg

tmal3.jpg

Tillandsia streptocarpa

The fragrance on this is incredible! It's like grape candy, maybe grape-lemonade candy. The grape is most noticeable, but I do get some floral and citrus notes. Flowers are large for a Tillandsia, and the scent is quite strong. This is really a very nice species and not terribly demanding or difficult to grow. I think they need warm temperatures and bright light, but otherwise they are somewhat drought tolerant. I've had no issues growing them so far.

tstrep3.jpg

Attachments

• tstrep1.jpg
    tstrep1.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tstrep2.jpg
    tstrep2.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 0
More photos! This is strongly fragrant of grape candy! So nice and more fragrant than most orchids. Lovely flowers for a bromeliad. This is a family that's typically better known for yumminess (pineapples) or vibrantly colored flower spikes.

Attachments

• 20240629_142834.jpg
    20240629_142834.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240629_142839.jpg
    20240629_142839.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back