Thermostatically controlled heating mats

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearsky57

Reaction score
So how many folks are using heating mats and what temps do you set yours at???
I have used them and am presently thinking about adding in more to my greenhouse to allow seedings a more stable temp. that way i can moderate my mean temps in the house...

I use them for brachys and hookerae. I believe I read somewhere that one of the nurseries (Paph Paradise?) uses them to keep their roots from staying too cold/wet and rotting.

All of my brachys have done well with this method, so I continue to use it. All of my orchids are in my house office (PNW/Oregon) and temps are typ in the low 70s during the day and I open the windows at night to let the temps drop.

I set the mat at 68-70.

Last edited:
So hookerae likes it warmer? I didn’t realize that. Bought one just yesterday! My gh low is 60F. Guess I need a heating mat! Phal bellina and violacea will probably appreciate it too.

I also use this type, but only for the reblooming (on same stem) phals. And they are timed to turn off at night when lights go off.
I also started using these last year for plants that like to stay a bit more on the warm side and for seedlings. My grow room is upstairs on the back of the house and you can get a little chilly in there in the winter even with the heat on.

So hookerae likes it warmer? I didn’t realize that. Bought one just yesterday! My gh low is 60F. Guess I need a heating mat! Phal bellina and violacea will probably appreciate it too.
This is from Dave’s/PaphParadise’s site:
Paph hookerae is from a tropical region and is found at fairly low elevation. Temperatures are consistently warm year-round, seldom falling below 65 F. They receive over 100″ of rain annually, so the plants never dry out.

We have had great success with this species when we keep them on seedling heat mats set to 68 F. That allows us to drop the greenhouse temperatures into the 50’s and not have tp worry about chilling sensitive species like this.

And this is Dave’s note on the niveum page:This species is easy to grow as long as you don’t let it get too cold in the winter months. We have had great success with them since we moved them onto seedling heat mats set at 65-68 F. This is an easy way to keep sensitive species warm even if you allow the rest of the growing area to get much colder.

Last edited:
Yes, those inexpensive mats are quite nice for warmer growing plants in cooler/drier environments.

Folks who grow warmer phals in semi-hydroponics in their homes sometimes use the mats to compensate for the evaporative cooling of the open, airy medium in household air.

Heat mat use will require an increase in watering.

Latest posts

Back