What has happened to the petals on my roth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I have flowered my roth 'Anisha' clone for the second time. Sadly it has turned out nothing like the first flowering where it got an AM award. The problem is the petals have not flattened out. They have just stayed very wavy. The second photo is the first time it flowered. Very disappointing to say the least. Any idea what has caused this? I did repot the orchid 6 months ago as I wasn't expecting it to flower this season. Hoping it is just a one-off but a little worried that it has happened on all three flowers.

roth-anisha.jpg

rothschildianum%20Anisha%202.jpg

I agree, most likely cause is stress early on. Probably a lack of enough water. Perhaps a little more fertilizer, but that is less likely. Chances are it is NOT insects or disease. Probably not temperature related either.

Check out the size of the fan. Are the leaves smaller, leaf spread shorter, fewer leaves? That might tell you "culture" was the cause. When it blooms with AM flowers, it is not going to regress to unawardable flowers unless the culture is off. People are always asking me in my beginners orchid classes, why don't my flowers look like those in the catalog? Lesser culture is the answer. These guys are, what, 95% water???? If the water availability is off as they form, you can't logically expect maximum potential. You could be right in the sense that repotting was the reason.

I agree, most likely cause is stress early on. Probably a lack of enough water. Perhaps a little more fertilizer, but that is less likely. Chances are it is NOT insects or disease. Probably not temperature related either.

Check out the size of the fan. Are the leaves smaller, leaf spread shorter, fewer leaves? That might tell you "culture" was the cause. When it blooms with AM flowers, it is not going to regress to unawardable flowers unless the culture is off. People are always asking me in my beginners orchid classes, why don't my flowers look like those in the catalog? Lesser culture is the answer. These guys are, what, 95% water???? If the water availability is off as they form, you can't logically expect maximum potential. You could be right in the sense that repotting was the reason.

Thanks for your feedback. The growth is beautiful and large. It would be larger than the first flowering growth. Maybe it was the repotting. I use Orchiata bark which can be a little water repellent at the beginning. So maybe a little water stress just as the buds were being initiated.

Latest posts

Back