What to do with old growths?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
I wonder how you normally handle the old growths(with or w/o leaves) when you repot your Paphs...(I am not talking about dividing)
I do realize those old growths or roots of the leafless growths are still feeding the plants, but if you don't get rid of some older growths, you will have to upsize the pot, which may not be what you want(for some). What would you do, especially for those old leafless growths with a lot of live roots?

Sever the old leafless growths from the leafed growths long before repoting. If they are truly alive and healthy they should resprout and then when you repot you will have two healthy plants.

One of the things I learnt from my Paph mentor, Faan Kruger, was that if you sever the new growth from the old soon after it has established itself this severing will stimulate the old growth to quickly send up a new growth. This was very useful for multiplying plants that refused to clump.

Thank you for the advice...now, I regret I had thrown out the two leafless growths of my sanderianum...should have thought about cutting the rhizome....

I think most of these old growths are dead anyway. Culture conditions have to be really optimal for these back-growths to survive.
Probably the leafless ones are not viable but worth trying if it is a good plant.
When I do my repotting, I don't normally save the old growths...but last week, I did save/pot up a back growth(with leaves and roots) of my Winston Churchill 'Ind." FCC--hopefully it will send out new growths.

Probably the leafless ones are not viable but worth trying if it is a good plant.
When I do my repotting, I don't normally save the old growths...but last week, I did save/pot up a back growth(with leaves and roots) of my Winston Churchill 'Ind." FCC--hopefully it will send out new growths.
If it has leaves I expect it will send up a new growth. You are very fortunate. I envy your WC "Ind" FCC.

Thank you for the advice...now, I regret I had thrown out the two leafless growths of my sanderianum...should have thought about cutting the rhizome....

I know we are talking about old backgrowths, but as a general rule I try to never cut the rhizome of multi Paph species to divide. More often than not one or both pieces will die.

Just an update, the WC "Ind." back growth is showing some life--two tiny leaves are showing up at the top of the old growth, not sure if it is a basal growth or not... and the emersonii back growth has two basal growths.
So, if it is a good clone/good plant, save the back growths that you might just throw them out when you repot...worth the try!

Back