Why are the new leaves of my big paph dangling

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefrog

Reaction score
Hi, it’s not a matter of worries because the leaves always end up erected and strong in the end. However, I find it quite puzzling to see these big new leaves always dangles on the side while in active growth. Have some of you observed similar things? Here are pictures of a Julius and a Sunlight Anita as exemples

Cheers,

Mathieu20240714_090924.jpg20240714_090946.jpg

I had that happen a lot to my plants in the past. I am thinking that they need brighter light but I am not sure.

Happens to me too, dunno why. Sometimes I make take a piece of wire, fold it in half to hold the leaf in "proper" position, and leave it until it matures. By then, it's hardened up and doesn't droop.

Leaf turgidity is related to water pressure, no? If growth rate + transpiration losses > uptake rate, the result is floppiness. (just an engineering guess)

Look at this closely. It seems like a really healthy plant, loads and loads of leaves. Probably has good root growth. I would not worry about a few floppy leaves!
I do not know if there is such a thing as “perfect growth for a slipper”, but yours seems close.
I wouldn’t worry.

First observation: plant seems healthy, robust and probably also has a good root system.

Then it is probably due to the nitrogen > light ratio. The solution is to either brighten it up or, if this is not possible, reduce the amount of nitrogen (but then it will also grow more slowly).

In my case, the media is always wet enough and the plants grow at an impressive rate. This is most likely explained by the equatorial weather we have in French Guiana and these plants enjoy.
Maybe, as some suggest it could be a sort of light deficiency. I've checked yesterday and the plastic film roof I had made to protect these plants from the extreme rain was full of cyanobacteria. I cleaned it so more light will reach the plants.

I’ve seen the same phenomenon with some of my multifloral paphs. It used to worry me, but over time it seems that some plants are just predisposed to doing this. i’ve had plants of the same type and age sitting next to each other and receiving virtually the same conditions, but the ones that like to produce the floppy leaves just seem to do it no matter what. I did try increasing light, but that just bleached the plant out and change nothing with the floppy leaf. No idea really why this is happening, but I hope it’s at least helpful that I’ve had the same experience and tried rectifying it with little success. Otherwise, the plants seem perfectly healthy.

Back