Yamadaara Queen Adelia x Prosthechea radiata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Such an oddball cross. I got this many years ago from Marble Branch Orchids.

My decision to buy it was based on the fact that a) I'd desperately love to own a Yamadaara Queen Adelia but I've never managed to find one for sale, even though they are common enough that they sometimes end up as bag babies at Lowes and Home Depot b) both parents are highly fragrant, it seemed like a good fit for my tastes, and c) it's an interesting hybrid so I was curious to see the outcome.

Unfortunately, this has mostly not lived up to my meager expectations. The flowers are a bit unusual, but not really all that interesting to me. The flowers are sequential, but each individual flower doesn't really last very long. Additionally, so far this thing has only bloomed once a year. On top of that, there's almost no fragrance to speak of, and if you were to describe it as being not fragrant, I wouldn't fight you on that. The scent is very faint and only noticeable for a brief period of time early in the day.

In truth, this plant was on my cull list, but I decided to keep it around to test its cold hardiness. Since I built a tiny minimally heated greenhouse last year, I figured I'd put some plants to the test to see how they survive at temperatures close to freezing. This plant handled it with surprising vigor. It grew all winter long, including producing new roots and a new growth. It did not mind near freezing temperatures at all. Root tips did not seem to care about the extreme cold and stayed green the whole time. So now I'm reluctant to get rid of it, simply because it's such an adaptable plant. I really was not expecting it to be so cold hardy.

Attachments

• thething1.jpg
    thething1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thething2.jpg
    thething2.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thething3.jpg
    thething3.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 0
  • thething4.jpg
    thething4.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 0
I took some more photos tonight. This has progressed a bit. Still not super excited by it, but it's far from the worst flower in my collection.

Attachments

• 20240629_142843.jpg
    20240629_142843.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240629_142844.jpg
    20240629_142844.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240629_142847.jpg
    20240629_142847.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back