An AM for my Paph. liemianum!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
8E93B6FE-69E4-4EFA-AB61-794E78AB799D.jpeg0507700A-9166-4ED0-BC02-259F6AED6389.jpeg
My orchid society had an AOS judging outreach session at our meeting this week and I was very pleased to see my Paph. liemianum receive an AM with 85 points. Out of seven nominated plants this was the only award given that evening. I almost didn't make it on time thanks to traffic chaos on the way there despite giving myself extra time to do the drive. The judges had already done their walk around and placed chips in front of the plants they wanted to take a closer look at and, fortunately, they let me enter my plants despite arriving when I did. Two of the three plants I brought received nominations and this one was awarded because of its three good sized fresh flowers on the single inflorescence. This plant usually has two flowers in bloom at the same time and only once before did it have three so perhaps as it matures this will become normal.........?

Last edited:
Congrats! I saw the pic on Stan’s IG… gorgeous! And I see you Lori! Great smile.
OMG, I didn't see that picture and was complaining that I already had my jacket on and my purse strapped across my body and that I was tired but he took it so fast I didn't have a chance to straighten myself out. Oh well. It wasn't about me anyway, lol.

This is great Lori and congrats to the well deserved award.
.............. This plant usually has two flowers in bloom at the same time and only once before did it have three so perhaps as it matures this will become normal.........?
I wouldn't rely on that because there are so many influences and a well grown or mature plant is only one among some more.

OMG, I didn't see that picture and was complaining that I already had my jacket on and my purse strapped across my body and that I was tired but he took it so fast I didn't have a chance to straighten myself out. Oh well. It wasn't about me anyway, lol.
You have reason to smile. Beautiful plant & blooms❣️

Congrats!

Gorgeous plant even if it's not in bloom. The flowers are literally just the icing on the cake! The only reason this isn't my absolute favorite species in this section is the fact that primulinum is typically fragrant while this is non-scented.

Foliage is fantastic with the mottling on the underside of the leaves.

That there are more than 2 flowers open at once makes it all the more impressive.

Any tips on growing this or guidance on your growing conditions and care routine?

Congrats!

Gorgeous plant even if it's not in bloom. The flowers are literally just the icing on the cake! The only reason this isn't my absolute favorite species in this section is the fact that primulinum is typically fragrant while this is non-scented.

Foliage is fantastic with the mottling on the underside of the leaves.

That there are more than 2 flowers open at once makes it all the more impressive.

Any tips on growing this or guidance on your growing conditions and care routine?
Thank you and btw I didn't know primulinum is fragrant, so I learned something new today. My liemianum has been with me for five years and grows in the house at one end of the light stand. It's in the front of the stand now (having been at the back closer to the wall) so in addition to the artificial light it gets additional light from the skylights above the room. It doesn't seem to mind the morning and late afternoon sun. It gets intermediate temperatures and when the skylight is open it enjoys the summer breeze. It grows in my standard orchiata/perlite/charcoal mix. I fertilize with MSU and CalMag once a week in the winter and twice a week in the warmer months. Occasionally I flush with plain water and then will fertilize with Kelpman or Pure Blend Pro 3-2-4 the following week. I also like to give it a morning spritz from the spray bottle on the non-rainy days. I acquired the plant from a club member who was known for having well grown healthy plants so it was already off to a really good start when it came to me. She said she had mixed feelings about parting with it at the time but felt better seeing it go home with me because she knew I'd know how to take good care of it. That meant a lot to me and I've made sure to take good care of it! Sadly that club member passed away a couple years ago so I felt even more honoured to see the plant earn its AM on Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back