Cattleya Bow Bells 'Purity' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started collecting orchids in 1971, when I was given a cattleya by the orchid grower at the Public Greenhouses in Piedmont Park (now ABG). When I got my college degrees and started working, I traveled around the US on business a great deal. I always took the AOS Almanac so I could find orchid places wherever aI happened to be, and often came home with plants. Later, my territory expanded to include North-, Central-, and South America, Japan and China, with occasional trips to Australia and various places in Europe - mostly Netherlands and France, with occasional forays into German, Spain and the Czech Republic. Armed with my APHIS import permit, and much of that happening pre-CITES, my collection grew to include more species than hybrids.

20+ year collection turned to mush.

What a special plant. I LOVE all of these old stories.. I wish I could hear more of them. I’d sit and listen all day
Read Chadwicks book 'The Classic Cattleyas'. It's all the history as far back as we know just about. All the major jungle hunters, hybridizers and cut flower industry, you will love it!

Bringing this back up, as Phil Brindle brings up the story of Bow Bells at around 31 minutes:

Thanks for sharing, I would also recommend Jeff Bradley's talk on white cattleyas from the 6th Cattleya Symposium if you haven't seen it and are interested in the history of their breeding.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'm not sure we're going to see any blooms this year due to grower carelessness during watering....
IMG_0719.jpg

Oh no! Stake it and hope……
Oh, it’s a clean break, I touched them and the leaf and sheath both came off in my hand. It’s put out a late summer growth before, so fingers crossed this triggers a second growth this year!

Latest posts

Back