Cattleya warscewiczii alba (‘Firmin Lambeau’ FCC/RHS x ‘Kathleen’ AM/AOS)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deborah, great article! I enjoyed reading it. I have a piece of warscewiczii alba ‘Leo Holguin’, undoubtedly a mericlone, that has turned a corner since it’s been grown in the new grow room. It was struggling on a windowsill but seems to enjoy the higher temperatures in now receives. It should flower next year. Fingers crossed.

Well done, I understand your concerns about larger plants, but I feel that there is a significant correlation between plants that are large and have good vigor leading to improvement in flower quality and floriferousness. For some clones that have great vigor and at least better than average quality, I feel these need to be announced and used in breeding to infuse stamina and good growth characteristics in line breeding of species. I am working on bettering my growing of warscewiczii as I have a few of Leslie's good clones here. The plants seem to have closely clustered bulbs and a good upright habit. Some clones also in this category may be just shy of award quality, but may lead to tremendous CCM plants than can easily win Best of Class in shows. Below a labiata, I can't wait for this juvenile plant to grow up.

Attachments

• labiata me 9-24.jpg
    labiata me 9-24.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 0
Well done, I understand your concerns about larger plants, but I feel that there is a significant correlation between plants that are large and have good vigor leading to improvement in flower quality and floriferousness. For some clones that have great vigor and at least better than average quality, I feel these need to be announced and used in breeding to infuse stamina and good growth characteristics in line breeding of species. I am working on bettering my growing of warscewiczii as I have a few of Leslie's good clones here. The plants seem to have closely clustered bulbs and a good upright habit. Some clones also in this category may be just shy of award quality, but may lead to tremendous CCM plants than can easily win Best of Class in shows. Below a labiata, I can't wait for this juvenile plant to grow up.
I am OK with plants in 7 inch pots but I decided that 9 inch pots were too large for me. I also don’t like excessively tall plants because they create issues with my LED lights. If I had a whole group of tall plants they could occupy one growing area with the lights the correct heights for them it would be fine. But, if I have only several plants taller than others, it doesn’t work. The other plants would have lights that were too tall for them. All of my plants need to be grouped by height. You don’t have to worry in your greenhouse!

Back