does this look like a virus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't the invitro process of many repeated cloning phases for virus removal have high risk of genetic mutation?
If so then there becomes a risk that the cleaned clone may not actually be a division of the original prized plant. Mutated clones can look identical but actually pass on different genetics when used it producing new hybrids.
My explanation of the process is the way I understand it in the simplest of terms, however, may not be completely representative. That would be an excellent question for Beth Lamb, she also does a lot of work for ag companies getting viruses out of commercial crops and is in FL. If you google her, I think you could find contact info. I know Dave Off has her info as both he, Art Chadwick and Keith Davis have sent her historic plants. Keith is the most scientific of the 3 having been on UNC's hort staff, and would be happy to talk to you. He does not sell plants, but has a website with contact info and would not mind the contact at all. https://keithdavisorchids.com/index-orchids.htm

oh on a side note I forgot to mention - the Cattleya orchid that started all this was the only plant out of my collection that tested positive for BOTH viruses on the test strip - ORSV and CymMV all the other plants only tested positive for the ORSV. I spoke with the man who gave me the Cat. and he told me he got it years ago as a "baby bag orchid" from a box store. So now I am thinking that was probably definitely the original plant.

Back