Epidendrum magnoliae (sm fm)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently acquired on from Andy’s Orchids - also much smaller than one I had that had been collected in Panama so 50 years ago.

According to Andy, this particular plant is a division of one that was collected from a magnolia growing about 60 miles inland from me, so I’m tempted to try mounting it on a tree in my yard.

Love it!

I'm still on the look out for the "North Carolina form". Supposedly Andy's had some in the pipeline. However, it's been several years since I was told that and it's never shown up on the website that I've seen, so I don't know what the deal is.

I suppose I should check my plant to see if it has any spikes on it. It bloomed this past spring (as you can see in the linked thread), but in years past I believe it has also produced spikes in the late summer or fall.

This species isn't exactly the showiest thing, but in my experience magnoliae and its hybrids can handle near freezing temperatures as well as intense summer heat without issues. They also stay small in size. Many are fragrant. I'm definitely on the lookout for more, even as I am downsizing my overall collection!

Latest posts

Back