Help a serial under-fertilizer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys remember to fertilize? I have a smaller collection (21 plants) that I water by hand. Sometimes I'm doing well just to water them all, especially as I water multiple times a week (thanks to low humidity). I know I need to get into a better rhythm, but it's hard because I don't want to fertilize every 3 days, and I try to do epsom salts once a month, as well as Kelpak and probiotics on top of "regularly" (or not...) using K-lite, so what I am doing changes and few times throughout the month. Any hacks that work for you?
Most recent paph for funsies. I'll make an official post for it once I get more official pictures, maybe when that second bud opens!
20241026_144442.jpg
Paph delenatii alba

It sounds to me that you are applying too much stuff. Adding this, using that, again and again. It is overwhelming! You need a simpler regime.
In my opinion, you are treating your orchids with everything, including the kitchen sink. Then you go next door and use their kitchen sink. And then you go across the street and use their sink!!!! Simplify, simplify, simplify.
Don’t the Kelpak directions say once a month. It is a tonic.
With only 21 orchids, this should be easier to figure this out. How can you tell what is working, what isn’t, when you constantly bombard them with potions?!
Look at my regime. I water every five days. I water twice with fertilizer then once with plain water. Then on week four I am trying Kelpack for the first time.
Then back to the beginning, twice with fertilizer, then plain water. Etc. etc. etc.
I have plastic trays within my light set up to hold water and boost humidity. Then I have 2 oscillating fans blowing when the lights are on.

I fertilize every time I water except when I don't feel like mixing fertilizer. Simple and the plants don't care if I miss once in a while. You don't have to keep a schedule.😉
I suppose I could do it every time if the application is very light, and when I forget make that a flush day. Haha

Don’t the Kelpak directions say once a month. It is a tonic.
It has varying concentrations listed on it for frequency of watering. I was trying to do every other week, then using the other two weeks per month for my other things, but I may be smarter just to use the once monthly concentration and get it over with!
I don't think I would go without monthly Kelpak at this point, as it's been very helpful in getting plants established and helping those that spent time in "orchid ICU." I also feel like the Quantum probiotic (also sold by Ray) is a great idea and preventative. I usually do those at the same time and remember to do them about once a month, honestly epsom salts aren'ttoo hard at once a month too... I think that trying to do K-lite more than once a month was what was getting me though. I would end up doing a lighter concentration planning on using it more, and then not doing it again for a month... so. That is the first change I will make!

like any repeated activity, start a routine.
I fertilize every Saturday morning when i get home from the gym, before i get changed or have breakfast.
Done!
My life has been chaotic in general, lacking much routine thanks to recent moves and travel etc, but that's about to change, so maybe I will get back into a groove! I was doing better before end of summer chaos hit. Attaching it with something else is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back