My Paphs of subg. Sigmatopetalum in 2024

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......You only water your plants every 3 weeks, that is great. I might try the rockwool cube someday also.
Tom, my watering regime is the same with rockwool cubes as well as with my potting medium. It works under my conditions quite well ... but I won't recommend it to others.

Tom, my watering regime is the same with rockwool cubes as well as with my potting medium. It works under my conditions quite well ... but I won't recommend it to others.
We do whatever works according to our own growing conditions. Thank you. Are you in the cooler region of Germany/higher elevation?
I have been to Germany a few times but didn't stay too long, the longest trip to Germany was Oberammergau trip for the Passion Play in 2000, even visited West Berlin on that trip(looked quite different then, soon after reunification)...Fine memory! going to stop at Warnemunde next month on a cruise...

Last edited:
...... Are you in the cooler region of Germany/higher elevation?
I have been to Germany a few times but didn't stay too long, the longest trip to Germany was Oberammergau trip for the Passion Play in 2000, even visited West Berlin on that trip(looked quite different then, soon after reunification)...Fine memory! going to stop at Warnemunde next month on a cruise...
No, I live in the north of Bavaria at an elevation on more or less 300 m above sea level. You visited nice places ....

Tom, sorry but I cant serve to you with exact dates. I'm an indoor grower I'm unable to give my plants different conditions and all my plants have to adapt up to a certain degree my conditions. I grow them only in different rooms :
- Subg. Polyantha - in the living room behind west facing windows
- Subg. Paphiopedilum - the smaller ones in the kitchen behind an east facing window (henryanum, charlesworthii etc.)
- the bigger ones in the dining room behind a west facing window ( villosum, insigne, hirsutissimum etc.) in winter this room si slightly cooler.
- Subg. Sigmatopetalum - here in my study/computer room (also P. purpuratum)
I reported here about my inorganic potting medium already before ... but after some reported here about good success with rockwool cubes in the past I also gave it a try with some plants. P. purpuratum is one of them.
I water all my Paphs every mor or less 3 weeks ..... even 4 weeks are possible. This helps me to travel from time to time without the need of help of other persons to care about my plants.
GuRu, your photos really are spectacular. I am also only windowsill growing. I am only about 1 degree further south than you so your description above of which plants for which exposure is very helpful. Our days get pretty short in the winter at this latitude. Do you provide supplemental light during the winter? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

GuRu, your photos really are spectacular. I am also only windowsill growing. I am only about 1 degree further south than you so your description above of which plants for which exposure is very helpful. Our days get pretty short in the winter at this latitude. Do you provide supplemental light during the winter? Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Roots, I don't use supplemental light during the winter months .... the plants get only daylight or artifial light from lighting the rooms. But sorry to correct you .... you live in Tulsa at an latitude of more or less 36° north and I live in Germany at more or less 50° north ... so the difference are about 14 degrees.

Roots, I don't use supplemental light during the winter months .... the plants get only daylight or artifial light from lighting the rooms. But sorry to correct you .... you live in Tulsa at an latitude of more or less 36° north and I live in Germany at more or less 50° north ... so the difference are about 14 degrees.
I was born in Tulsa but have lived in Tacoma WA for decades now, 47 degrees N. 😊 You give me hope that I won't need to add lights over winter, although you probably don't have the constant grey skies all winter that plague us. Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Back