Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious as well! Maybe I should ditch my multis in place of these little gems!

Wayne, I grow most of the plants in a spare room in our condo. My temps have always been 26-32C when lights are on during the day time. 19-22C at night when AC is on. But the past few months I open the lights at night because that's the only time I can water. So cooler temps when the lights are on. In the daytime AC is off because nobody's home. Plants are blooming the same. I am beginning to think that day/night or seasonal difference don't really have an effect on plants' blooming. As long as the plant is mature and getting enough nutrients and light, it will bloom.

I am more of an underwaterer. That's probably why my brachies do well. I water with tap that has about 200TDS pH of around 8. I feed with either 30-10-10 or 25-10-10, both have lots of urea. Supplement with amino acids, fulvic acid, and kelp.

Most of my plants are in rexius bark with perlite and charcoal. Some in orchiata. Those are doing a lot better with the Urea based ferts. Alot are in dire need of repotting. I use transparent pots. I think that's the single most important part of my culture. Lets me know when to water and how the roots are doing.

Oh yeah, they are all under either T5's or T8's. They do well under both.

Also, I've noticed that plants grew better roots when i adjusted the pH close to 6.5. I haven't done it in a while and the root tips have diminished but top growth is the same. I just ordered some citric acid to give it a try.

Wayne, I grow most of the plants in a spare room in our condo. My temps have always been 26-32C when lights are on during the day time. 19-22C at night when AC is on. But the past few months I open the lights at night because that's the only time I can water. So cooler temps when the lights are on. In the daytime AC is off because nobody's home. Plants are blooming the same. I am beginning to think that day/night or seasonal difference don't really have an effect on plants' blooming. As long as the plant is mature and getting enough nutrients and light, it will bloom.

I am more of an underwaterer. That's probably why my brachies do well. I water with tap that has about 200TDS pH of around 8. I feed with either 30-10-10 or 25-10-10, both have lots of urea. Supplement with amino acids, fulvic acid, and kelp.

Most of my plants are in rexius bark with perlite and charcoal. Some in orchiata. Those are doing a lot better with the Urea based ferts. Alot are in dire need of repotting. I use transparent pots. I think that's the single most important part of my culture. Lets me know when to water and how the roots are doing.

Oh yeah, they are all under either T5's or T8's. They do well under both.

Thanks for all the infos!! Very interesting details, I'll keep this somewhere so I don't forget it... ;)

My Psyche, thaianum x bellatulum and concolor are almost ever-blooming. There's always a new bud to replace the spent flowers. Bellatulum, my other concolor, and most of the hybrids bloom twice a year at least. Leucochilum so far once a year. But they are new and young. Most of my brachies are multigrowth. Parvis I've never bloomed more than once a year. Most of the time they take longer. I think my grow room temps and conditions are much more suited to my brachies' needs.

Oh, wow~ ever blooming!
How many do you have?
I just am curious if you just got lucky with some odd ( in a good way) plants or this trait is true for all your brachy (if you have enough number to generalize to certain degree).

Let's see...I have a few nevium hybrid ( nevium with godefroyae, then back on to nevium, I don't know what that makes them). They took at least one year to rebloom. Then one of them is still not blooming although I think I see a start of a spike deep in the center now. So it's been over two years now.
Maybe my winter is not warm enough for them with godefroyae in them.

Then I have leucochilum bought in January 2014. It had two growths. Kept on growing well adding more growths which died back as soon as they started. The base was exposed and I posted a question here about it. No one had any good answers. I figured it should be the same for other paphs and covered up the base with some more mix. Then the plant exploded with four new growths right where it was buried.
I now see a start of a spike at the center of the largest growth. This is the same growth (one of the two) that was present at the time of purchase.

I have two more plants of nevium hybrid, Snowflake, which is nevium x conco-bellatulum. They were tiny plants last year and it's been growing well adding more fans, but still pushing more leaves instead of flowers.
Smallest brachy I have. beautiful leaves (they look quite different and one is very pretty which I will keep just for the leaves) and can't wait for the flowers. Just curious although these pretty much look the same to me.

Then I have one in bloom. It's got mostly godefroyae and concolor, and a hint of bellatulum. I made a thread on it recently. I got it a year ago and it since grew two or three leaves. Now in bloom. not bad.

and I have two bellatulum and two wenshanense album that I bought back in the winter as bareroot in spike plants. They travelled far, and were in bad conditions, but I was curious and they were cheap, so I got them anyway just case I might see the flowers. well, the buds all dried up. no surprise there. It took them forever to get started that I almost threw them away.
Finally in April, I saw the roots growing in the pot, but still no activity on top.
Slowly, all four plants developed a new fan, which have been very slowly growing, and all four plants have been growing lots of roots!

So I just have about a dozen or so brachys.
I have heard people say things like brachys are tough, they rot easy, .... well, at least for me, I can say they are nothing different than any other paphs I grow.
Perhaps, easier and more consistent in growth.

I have intersectional hyrbrids like brachy x parvi, brachy x roth which have been great growers. No flowers yet as they are still babies.

I'm thinking of switching some of these to s/h and grow big without ever needing to repot.

I guess you have constant warmth and light, which I do not have at least for winter months. Godefroyae and nevium I believe need warmth and long hours of brigh light throughout the year, especially godefroyae.

Oh, wow~ ever blooming!
How many do you have?
I just am curious if you just got lucky with some odd ( in a good way) plants or this trait is true for all your brachy (if you have enough number to generalize to certain degree).

Let's see...I have a few nevium hybrid ( nevium with godefroyae, then back on to nevium, I don't know what that makes them). They took at least one year to rebloom. Then one of them is still not blooming although I think I see a start of a spike deep in the center now. So it's been over two years now.
Maybe my winter is not warm enough for them with godefroyae in them.

Then I have leucochilum bought in January 2014. It had two growths. Kept on growing well adding more growths which died back as soon as they started. The base was exposed and I posted a question here about it. No one had any good answers. I figured it should be the same for other paphs and covered up the base with some more mix. Then the plant exploded with four new growths right where it was buried.
I now see a start of a spike at the center of the largest growth. This is the same growth (one of the two) that was present at the time of purchase.

I have two more plants of nevium hybrid, Snowflake, which is nevium x conco-bellatulum. They were tiny plants last year and it's been growing well adding more fans, but still pushing more leaves instead of flowers.
Smallest brachy I have. beautiful leaves (they look quite different and one is very pretty which I will keep just for the leaves) and can't wait for the flowers. Just curious although these pretty much look the same to me.

Then I have one in bloom. It's got mostly godefroyae and concolor, and a hint of bellatulum. I made a thread on it recently. I got it a year ago and it since grew two or three leaves. Now in bloom. not bad.

and I have two bellatulum and two wenshanense album that I bought back in the winter as bareroot in spike plants. They travelled far, and were in bad conditions, but I was curious and they were cheap, so I got them anyway just case I might see the flowers. well, the buds all dried up. no surprise there. It took them forever to get started that I almost threw them away.
Finally in April, I saw the roots growing in the pot, but still no activity on top.
Slowly, all four plants developed a new fan, which have been very slowly growing, and all four plants have been growing lots of roots!

So I just have about a dozen or so brachys.
I have heard people say things like brachys are tough, they rot easy, .... well, at least for me, I can say they are nothing different than any other paphs I grow.
Perhaps, easier and more consistent in growth.

I have intersectional hyrbrids like brachy x parvi, brachy x roth which have been great growers. No flowers yet as they are still babies.

I'm thinking of switching some of these to s/h and grow big without ever needing to repot.

I guess you have constant warmth and light, which I do not have at least for winter months. Godefroyae and nevium I believe need warmth and long hours of brigh light throughout the year, especially godefroyae.

I have quite a few. Brachies may start slow. But once they get bigger and if they like the conditions, they grow a lot faster. Also I find tnhat they sometimes bloom from smaller growths. But I'm not worried as they are really good at keeping their old growths intact. Sometimes even 3 old growths back.

Brachies love constant warmth. They are perfect for growing under lights. I have only lost 2 brachies to rot and that's when I was just learning how to grow them. They love my tap water that has lots of calcium and magnesium. So I don't think pure water is necessary to grow them well, like most books tell you.

And yes, I have a small fan running 24/7. Blowing against a wall. Away from the plants. Air circulation is a good thing.

Back