Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n x sib blooming thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I’ve tried most of these things. I’ve watered with Epsom salts once and used it in the foliar spray. Maybe it takes some time to show. I’ve also moved the plants back from the window as it’s getting sunnier. There has been some very slight fading on the odd leaf close to the window.
The plants don’t get very warm. We live on the SW tip of England in an extreme maritime climate. It rarely gets into the mid twenties centigrade here in summer, the effect of the sea and prevailing SW wind all the way across the Atlantic is so strong. Plus when it’s sunny, the windows above the plants are open and letting in cooler air.
I am also exploring an increase (and variation) in various nutrients. So much is uncertain and I am hedging on everything. Controversial like many things, I am adjusting the pH of my solutions. I decided to target about 6.0 for solutions that go primarily to the root zone. For solutions that might have foliar absorption, I am targeting about 6.5. Most of the time I just adjust the proportion of RO and tap water I use to achieve the goal. For a few solutions I must use a pH lowering product. I don’t have enough time left as a grower to try things one at a time. I have to put all my chips into the center of the table.

Good to know Terry. I’m trying to avoid going down the pH route at present and keep things simple. Let’s see what happens for the rest of the growing season. Last year things sorted themselves put in the autumn and I did nothing special. Under my conditions, the phrags have a real growth spurt in spring and again especially in autumn.

Good to know Terry. I’m trying to avoid going down the pH route at present and keep things simple. Let’s see what happens for the rest of the growing season. Last year things sorted themselves put in the autumn and I did nothing special. Under my conditions, the phrags have a real growth spurt in spring and again especially in autumn.
I had hoped to as well, but I was surprised when I tested and saw how acidic or alkaline some of my solutions were when made in 100% RO.

Everything with orchid nutrition is controversial. Some claim the pH of solutions applied to the root zone or the leaves doesn’t matter; others claim it does. A pH meter is a reasonable expense compared to the cost of one good Cattleya. I am using 6 different solutions in rotation and they vary from needing 100% tap water to 100% RO to achieve the suggested optimal pH. I decided it can’t hurt to get the pH correct and it is not that much hassle to do. I enjoy the fiddling.

Terry, this seems to be the strongest seedling. It flowered last autumn with the largest bloom, just in 14cm across. I’ve decided to name it ‘KV’, after the parent it resembles, kovachii.
This flower was on a first growth. This is the second growth and looks big. It’s in a larger aquatic pot to most and potted in the larger rockwool cubes that now seem to be unavailable over here.
IMG_1623.jpegIMG_1624.jpeg

Back