Phragmipedium Acker's Ornament

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That is your outdoor growing area for the summer? Impressive collection! How many plants?

Wow! That is very nice DJ! It has wonderful color!
What do we call that? Kind of deep peach color. Or is it more salmon? But that rich yellow in the pouch is gorgeous!
Like it a lot.
It is a deep peach color over salmon. The color is influenced by the color. Our latest cool down helped bring out the richness of the color.

Wow! That is your outdoor growing area for the summer? Impressive collection! How many plants?
That is my outside space. It's a bit shader this year. Some of the surrounding tree branches are hanging low, but they are too high for us to remove safely. We may have someone come out next year. I love my orchids and I want to keep the trees healthy as possible. So i want to professional opinion on thinning the canopy a bit.

My collection is outsized for my lifestyle. At the moment I have about 800 in my collection.

Yay besseae hybrids!
The besseae are blooming too!

It is a deep peach color over salmon. The color is influenced by the color. Our latest cool down helped bring out the richness of the color.

That is my outside space. It's a bit shader this year. Some of the surrounding tree branches are hanging low, but they are too high for us to remove safely. We may have someone come out next year. I love my orchids and I want to keep the trees healthy as possible. So i want to professional opinion on thinning the canopy a bit.

My collection is outsized for my lifestyle. At the moment I have about 800 in my collection.

The besseae are blooming too!
What is your normal night temperature outside?

@gonewild
During the months that they are outside, the night time lows average about 60F. July and August are the warmest, and the lows about 65. The phrags heavily influenced by besseae and kovachii go outside when the lows are in the mid 50s (May/early June) and come in when the lows consistently dip into the low 50s/high 40s (late October/early November). Otherwise I grow under lights with night temps near 60.

@gonewild
During the months that they are outside, the night time lows average about 60F. July and August are the warmest, and the lows about 65. The phrags heavily influenced by besseae and kovachii go outside when the lows are in the mid 50s (May/early June) and come in when the lows consistently dip into the low 50s/high 40s (late October/early November). Otherwise I grow under lights with night temps near 60.
Great answer, thank you.
What are the daily high temperatures?

@gonewild May day temperatures are in the low 70s. June to August highs are in the low 80s. September drops to highs in the low 70s. October highs are in the mid 60s.

Humidity ranges from 55-75%. We get pretty upset about 75% humidity, which tells you it is not all that common for us.

Just keep your eyes on the sunlight after you thin out some of the tree branches. I removed a couple of lower branches this spring...the late afternoon sun got on some of my plants...my sanderianum and roth both got sunburnt lightly... The good thing I was home and realized the problem quickly.

Have you had luck growing P. kovachii in these conditions?
Yes. I have two, and they are growing very well. The could bloom more consistently but I think that is more of a watering issue. I am a chronic under waterer

Just keep your eyes on the sunlight after you thin out some of the tree branches. I removed a couple of lower branches this spring...the late afternoon sun got on some of my plants...my sanderianum and roth both got sunburnt lightly... The good thing I was home and realized the problem quickly.
Good point! I have also done this is the past. When I did it, I decided to remove branches at the end of June. Thankfully nothing catastrophic happened. Some cattleya got a decent sunburn though. I am hope that have the branches removed before the orchids go out will allow me to aclimate them to the higher light.

Latest posts

Back