• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Sanderianum flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again? How many do you like to have? It seems you will look for those every so often... Talk to Nelson Wong, he might let you know where he got his seedlings yesterday.

Me too... It has always been the toughest species for me to grow. I would love to know how people who can actually grow it are doing with them.

I compotted a couple flasks but I'm sort of purposefully not remembering exactly where I put them on the shelves. That way if they do well I can be pleasantly surprised. :) Unfortunately I will also not be surprised if they aren't doing well, that seems to be the usual result with sanderianum in my barn.

Me too... It has always been the toughest species for me to grow. I would love to know how people who can actually grow it are doing with them.

I compotted a couple flasks but I'm sort of purposefully not remembering exactly where I put them on the shelves. That way if they do well I can be pleasantly surprised. :) Unfortunately I will also not be surprised if they aren't doing well, that seems to be the usual result with sanderianum in my barn.
Do you have any extra 😉

I’m not sure I’ll live long enough to grow out a flask!

I know I won't live long enough to see mine flower. After 7 years they have barely grown. A couple of them have doubled in size but at the rate they are growing, I have no expectations they will ever reach flowering size in the next decade or so. I have subsequently bought a much larger plant and it is a lot easier to grow.

I know I won't live long enough to see mine flower. After 7 years they have barely grown. A couple of them have doubled in size but at the rate they are growing, I have no expectations they will ever reach flowering size in the next decade or so. I have subsequently bought a much larger plant and it is a lot easier to grow.
David, You have grown some of the most beautiful Paphs, so I am surprised to hear you have trouble with your sanderianum seedlings...
If you get a healthy seedling from a good source, it can be done in 10 years. I paid $100 for a tiny seedling(straight out of flask) from reputable retailer back in 2005/2006, and it took 11 years to mature and bloom. It was a satisfactory journey...and it is a nice clone. I think it will bloom again this fall.
Don't babysit your plants to dead, don't give it any special treatment, just be patient! That is my growing advice...

Last edited:

I feel like it heavily depends on seedling size and amount of leaf damage, the ones I got that came in near perfect condition and larger managed to survive with no casualties even if I broke off nearly all of their roots. Another flask I got with much smaller seedlings that came with more injuries had a much lower survival rate with the same care.

A note. We are just now getting 2nd and 3rd generation Paphiopedilum sanderianum plants. Each generation represents a selection of the best and fastest growers. Like with rothschildianum, the flask to bloom time WILL go down and ease of cultivation increase. There are roths blooming 5–6 years out of flask now and prices in the $50 range. Same goes for Phragmipedium besseae! Keep 'em coming.

Back