Sheath?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I could just be patient, buuuuut
Does this look like the beginning of a sheath to you on this Phrag Eric Young? đź‘€ The shorter leaf just prior with the quick emergence of another, very centered "leaf" has me wondering!
Is it okay if it's spiking as a single growth? Would I expect new growths right after blooming?
20240628_145000.jpg
20240628_145018.jpg

Nope. That's too young for an Eric Young to bloom. They can bloom precociously, but that looks like a new leaf to me.
I would normally agree without doubt, but it's supposed to be blooming size and others in the batch have already bloomed. See example pic provided by grower (found here):
Screenshot_20240629_165725_Chrome.jpg
It does appear wildly small, but I will say it has a ton of roots. The thing was like pure roots when I got it a few months ago! Would being 3N have to do with size? I'm still not sure what 3N/4N means really. 🥴

3N and 4N refer to the number of chromosomes that a plants has. 2N is normal, 3N’s are typically referred to as triploids, 4N’s are thought to provide better flowers and stronger and slower growth due to twice the normal number of chromosomes.
If I had a dollar for every plant I bought as near blooming size, I would be richer then Donald Trump! Vendors say that to get your money. Are you more likely to buy NBS or 2-3 years from blooming? You decide.

As far as the photograph goes, if they show you a smaller plant blooming, you will be even more inclined to spend money!

Caveat Emptor is the expression that fits best here. “Buyer Beware”.
In time, experience will guide you.

I would normally agree without doubt, but it's supposed to be blooming size and others in the batch have already bloomed. See example pic provided by grower (found here):

It does appear wildly small, but I will say it has a ton of roots. The thing was like pure roots when I got it a few months ago! Would being 3N have to do with size? I'm still not sure what 3N/4N means really. 🥴

I'm definitely glad to be wrong! Good luck!

Overall my experience has been that polypolid phrags (triploid 3N and tetraploid 4N) are usually a little less prone to precocious blooming and usually need to be on the large side before they bloom. Of course, there are always exceptions.

This is not to be disparaging or a "buzz kill", but I still think this plant is a bit young to bloom and I think that the center most foliage is still too young to say decisively from this photo that it's a spike. It looks more like foliage to me.

Additionally, my general experience with Phrags from this source (OrchidWeb) is that they tend to prioritize flower quality over vigorousness and floriferousness. So, my assumption is that even if this is a "spike", it may not successfully develop into a mature and blooming spike.

I'm definitely glad to be wrong! Good luck!

Overall my experience has been that polypolid phrags (triploid 3N and tetraploid 4N) are usually a little less prone to precocious blooming and usually need to be on the large side before they bloom. Of course, there are always exceptions.

This is not to be disparaging or a "buzz kill", but I still think this plant is a bit young to bloom and I think that the center most foliage is still too young to say decisively from this photo that it's a spike. It looks more like foliage to me.

Additionally, my general experience with Phrags from this source (OrchidWeb) is that they tend to prioritize flower quality over vigorousness and floriferousness. So, my assumption is that even if this is a "spike", it may not successfully develop into a mature and blooming spike.
Thank you! Good info. I mean, even if I'm a little bummed that's why I came here to ask!

Latest posts

Back