Spider mite damage??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birgit

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me diagnose this.

It's a Phragmipedium kovachii, old and dear, but I can't seem to find any mites.IMG_4027.jpegIMG_4027.jpeg

I recently bought a phrag Ruth Morrow that arrived with similar rust on all 3 of its new growths- none on the older one though. The worst spot is most visible in this picture. I wiped it down thoroughly with rubbing alcohol while potting it up and haven't noticed the rust spots grow. Mites aren't necessarily always visible are they? Anyway, I'm also curious so adding my pic to follow and see what others say.

1000034724.jpg

My experience with spider mites is that they give a "silvering" effect on leaves, not a rusty-colored effect.

My preference would be to go nuclear with mites - kill them hard and fast, so that they don't spread or develop resistance to any pesticide you may choose to use.

I don’t think that it is thrips. They are so small, so slender, and I can’t imagine them attacking leaves like that. I
Think that a sucking insect like a thrip would not be able to penetrate the leaf surface.
I dealt with them often in Florida. I have seen damage caused by them dozens of times. I am pretty sure they were attacking flowers, which compared to a leaf, are much more easily damaged.
I think it is fungal or maybe bacterial.

Thank you all for kind replies.

I have found Thrips and there will be larva and lots of eggs....hmmmm. Not pleased.
Overture is the big gun for thrips. Expensive because of the size you must order. I but the bullet but got rid of them. If you are in the U.S. I can send you some. $20 plus shipping. PM me.

I don’t think that it is thrips. They are so small, so slender, and I can’t imagine them attacking leaves like that. I
Think that a sucking insect like a thrip would not be able to penetrate the leaf surface.
I dealt with them often in Florida. I have seen damage caused by them dozens of times. I am pretty sure they were attacking flowers, which compared to a leaf, are much more easily damaged.
I think it is fungal or maybe bacterial.
thrips-life-cycle.png

Could be fungal and/or bacterial after infestation.

Overture is the big gun for thrips. Expensive because of the size you must order. I but the bullet but got rid of them. If you are in the U.S. I can send you some. $20 plus shipping. PM me.
Thank you very much. I live in Denmark.
I'll treat it with a neem-oil foliar-spray solution and later evt. Siltac which is an environment friendly product and very good in my opinion.
I have cut it back dramatically, poor plant.

Thank you very much. I live in Denmark.
I'll treat it with a neem-oil foliar-spray solution and later evt. Siltac which is an environment friendly product and very good in my opinion.
I have cut it back dramatically, poor plant.
Be sure you use something that kills, nit just suppresses thrips specifically or you will really have a problem and thrips are particularly bad because they spread virus from plant to plant.

Latest posts

Back