Spiranthes sinensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
The nearly weedy native orchid, Spiranthes sinensis is in flower now. I saw these during a pit stop on a bike ride today. They can been seen in virtually any lawn or grassy area in southern Japan. It even pops up in my garden here and there - in orchid pots or even the gutters of my carport. Too bad all weeds weren't this lovely.
SSFLSsm.JPG
SSFLSCL.JPG

I considered getting some of these awhile back, but things didn't work out. I wonder if anybody is growing them in the USA and can comment on whether they are this vigorous (i.e. potentially invasive) here? I know there are some wild native spiranthes populations in my area and I would be very reluctant to try something out that might escape cultivation.

Otherwise, it's a very pretty species. Is there any fragrance on this one?

I had some a few times from a vendor selling in usa; I wouldn’t be concerned about it escaping into nature, if it’s not flowering there’s just green leaves on the ground. If it’s flowering, then there’s something pretty! If it displaces something or poisons something, then there could be an issue.
What if paph rothschildianum escaped into nature? :) would you spray it with herbicide to keep it from propagating? (I say gently with no judgement, just creating perspective) it’s nice to be conscientious, but not necessary in this case

I had some a few times from a vendor selling in usa; I wouldn’t be concerned about it escaping into nature, if it’s not flowering there’s just green leaves on the ground. If it’s flowering, then there’s something pretty! If it displaces something or poisons something, then there could be an issue.
What if paph rothschildianum escaped into nature? :) would you spray it with herbicide to keep it from propagating? (I say gently with no judgement, just creating perspective) it’s nice to be conscientious, but not necessary in this case

I suppose the displacement is my concern. I live in an area with numerous, highly problematic invasive species. I'd hate to be a footnote in history for introducing the "kudzu" of orchids to my area and effectively wiping out the native Spiranthes species, either through competition for habitat or via rampant hybridization.

Currently we have so many invasives destroying forest habitats around here. Things like kudzu and wisteria smother entire sections of forest. Non-native hollies and privet out compete under story natives to the point where the natives are hard to find. Anyway, going off on a tangent so I'll stop there.

I suppose the displacement is my concern. I live in an area with numerous, highly problematic invasive species. I'd hate to be a footnote in history for introducing the "kudzu" of orchids to my area and effectively wiping out the native Spiranthes species, either through competition for habitat or via rampant hybridization.

Currently we have so many invasives destroying forest habitats around here. Things like kudzu and wisteria smother entire sections of forest. Non-native hollies and privet out compete under story natives to the point where the natives are hard to find. Anyway, going off on a tangent so I'll stop there.

Well, with that considered, it is understandable to be concerned about invasive species. The Spiranthes sinensis has such a small flower compared to its white North American cousins that it’s not likely to hybridize. And even if it did, the nature of the plant wouldn’t create a hazard to nature. :) but it’s commendable to be concerned. I’d say buy away if you see one for sale; I’ve never kept one alive long enough to get out and cause mayhem :) :(

Latest posts

Back