Suitable Mulching material

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paph_Person

Reaction score
So as the title says, what would be a suitable Mulching material for my potting mix consisting of leca + pumice + pine bark. I find the top dries out rather quickly. I don't want the new roots to die due to the dry top. What material other than sphagnum moss would be ideal in this case?IMG20241009200458.jpg

I have never “top dressed” any orchid pot. In my experience it messes with the normal wet dry cycle of orchid culture.
If my plants dry out too fast, I a. Water more often or b. I increase humidity c. Or if an orchid needs more water I put it into a finer mix.
Conversely if the plants dry out to slowly I decrease water frequency or I increase air movement.
If you pot it correctly and use the appropriate media, there should be no need to top dress. I know florists do it because the orchids that they sell might look “prettier.” I don’t want prettier, I want healthier.

If an orchid stays to wet, try growing it mounted.

Is there a reason you wanted to exclude sphagnum moss?
I've never found a mulch that worked better.
1000005266.jpg
1000004808.jpg
The moss mulch does not interfere with airflow through the open leva media. But it stays moist enough to encourage and support new lateral root growth.

Latest posts

Back