What is this plant?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these are not the best photos, but here are pics of Epidendrum parkinsonianum for the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in 2015.

IMAG0403.jpgIMAG0375.jpg

I have a Trichocentrum stacyii and can see the difference between the growth habit.

Now I'm not so sure it is Epidendrum parkinsonianum because of the growth pattern. Epidendrum grows then branches off the old growth not at the base of the plant but rather further down. The plant that is in question only seems to grow from the base of the pot/bark

I have grown B. acaulis. That is not acaulis. I am leaning towards parkinsonianum at around 98% certainty.
I had the honor of judging a great Epidendrum parkinsonianum once at a Greater New York Orchid Show back in the 90’s. It came in on a huge piece of cork bark hung on a wooden easel. It was a good 18” wide and better then four feet tall. The leaves were long and cascading downward. It was full of flowers and looked like a living painting.
The leaves were folded lengthwise in half and they featured a very thin, papery covering to the base of the leaf. You can see both of those points in the very first image presented.
Brassavola acaulis has a cascading growth habit as well, but the pseudobulbs are rat tail like, very rigid and almost perfectly round. Towards the base of the leaf, the leaf presents itself with a little groove running from the bulb to a point on the leaf where it fades away. This groove, is kind of like where the very succulent leaf rolls inward in to itself creating this rat-tailed like appearance.
Those leaves in the very first image are clearly not rat tail like.

I have grown B. acaulis. That is not acaulis. I am leaning towards parkinsonianum at around 98% certainty.
I had the honor of judging a great Epidendrum parkinsonianum once at a Greater New York Orchid Show back in the 90’s. It came in on a huge piece of cork bark hung on a wooden easel. It was a good 18” wide and better then four feet tall. The leaves were long and cascading downward. It was full of flowers and looked like a living painting.
The leaves were folded lengthwise in half and they featured a very thin, papery covering to the base of the leaf. You can see both of those points in the very first image presented.
Brassavola acaulis has a cascading growth habit as well, but the pseudobulbs are rat tail like, very rigid and almost perfectly round. Towards the base of the leaf, the leaf presents itself with a little groove running from the bulb to a point on the leaf where it fades away. This groove, is kind of like where the very succulent leaf rolls inward in to itself creating this rat-tailed like appearance.
Those leaves in the very first image are clearly not rat tail like.
Would you happen to have b. Acaulis for sale? I am having better luck finding paph sanderianum right now 🤣

Sorry, I do not have a piece to sell/trade at the moment. But the next time mine throws off a division, I'll put your name on the back of the tag. I am trying to grow mine for a culture award at the moment.
Brassavolas love Michigan as opposed to Florida! SW Florida was just too hot!

Sorry, I do not have a piece to sell/trade at the moment. But the next time mine throws off a division, I'll put your name on the back of the tag. I am trying to grow mine for a culture award at the moment.
Brassavolas love Michigan as opposed to Florida! SW Florida was just too hot!
Thank you so much!!! I wish you the best of luck with the culture award 👍.

Back