When/how to put a stick to the flowerspike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKkenn

Reaction score
as the title says, is there a good way to stick the inflorescence, so the flower is upright and not hanging?

The flowering shoot is kind of leaning sideways and I fear the flower will not grow upright by itself.

Thanks!

When they are actively growing I use a thin wire stake with twist tie. Yup, that bright green junk. As the inflorescence lengthens I can tighten up on the twist tie to get it more upright and supported to help protect it.
Just as a suggestion, I would say not to stake it too rigid. Stiff and straight is not as appealing as gently arching.
If I take it to judging I take the twist tie off and use an alligator clip.

During the last couple of years I have been using Soft-Tie to tie the flower stem to the stake. It exists in different colors and you only need a small piece to tie the stem.

When they are actively growing I use a thin wire stake with twist tie. Yup, that bright green junk. As the inflorescence lengthens I can tighten up on the twist tie to get it more upright and supported to help protect it.
Just as a suggestion, I would say not to stake it too rigid. Stiff and straight is not as appealing as gently arching.
If I take it to judging I take the twist tie off and use an alligator clip.
Okay thanks.
I will think abit and see what i can do.
The plant looks like this

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You can loosely tie (I use clips) about halfway up the spike if you think it is too heavy to stay upright. Most of the time they stay up on their own. Wait until the flower has opened (for a day or two) and then stake it (angling back a bit) to a presentation that looks good. That will show the flowers off the best - you should do that if you are putting a plant in a show or taking it to judging. Two reasons, one of which is presentation but the main reason is that the support keeps them from bouncing around in the car.

The natural tendency of paphs is to face slightly down and forward (allows the dorsal to keep rain out of the pouch). But if you let them 'set' then stake them back a bit then they stay facing forward. I don't usually stake anything that isn't going to a show...

Back