When to fertilize after deflask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKkenn

Reaction score
As the title says, when would you recommend starting to fertilize compots?
I guess starting with half dose or less?

I was half planning to give up orchids but my wifes colleague gave me a flask of paph kolopangii. And then i bought some from Martin here..
hence it was a short break.. 🥳

As the title says, when would you recommend starting to fertilize compots?
I guess starting with half dose or less?

I was half planning to give up orchids but my wifes colleague gave me a flask of paph kolopangii. And then i bought some from Martin here..
hence it was a short break.. 🥳
Not sure why you would stop... They are getting fertilizer in flask. I don't ever use a lot of fertilizer all at once, pretty much constant low amount every time I water.

I agree with Rob.

You also need to banish concepts like “half dose” as that is meaningless. Just as caloric intake is a way to measure and control your food, ppm N is the way to do it for plants.

75-125 ppm N, applied weekly, seems to be a pretty reasonable rate for most plants grown in media that remains moist. Don’t let the fact that it’s a concentration, not a mass, bother you. We really have no meaningful idea of the true mass uptake of the plants, since the roots don’t come into contact with 100% of the solution, but that level has proven to be reasonable.

You can certainly weigh the fertilizer out to make such a solution, but a reasonable approximation is to divide 9.2 by the %N in the formula, as it gives the ml/L for the middle of that range.

Not sure why you would stop... They are getting fertilizer in flask. I don't ever use a lot of fertilizer all at once, pretty much constant low amount every time I water.
I have limited space and wanted to try other plants.
75-125 ppm N, applied weekly, seems to be a pretty reasonable rate for most plants grown in media that remains moist. Don’t let the fact that it’s a concentration, not a mass, bother you. We really have no meaningful idea of the true mass uptake of the plants, since the roots don’t come into contact with 100% of the solution, but that level has proven to be reasonable.

You can certainly weigh the fertilizer out to make such a solution, but a reasonable approximation is to divide 9.2 by the %N in the formula, as it gives the ml/L for the middle of that range.

Thank you. I will try that.
Sorry for the late reply. Life got in the way.

Back