Den nobile question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked this plant up in January of this year in bud, and since it has grown a nice tall new growth. Within the last month leaves fell from the oldest growth. I'm confused- aren't all the leaves supposed to go? Or at least from the two older growths? I decreased watering until canes show slightly crinkling just in case (usually I keep it plump and on the moist side). Am I on the right track? I'm sure my understanding of this plant is off. First dendrobium since I was 10! Bonus pic of the bloom this past spring for fun.
1000034721.jpg
1000034723.jpg

These guys are fairly easy to grow with a few basics.
ALL Dendrobiums like to be tightly potted, the smaller the pot the better.
For nobiles, do not cut back on water, with hold water entirely. The time to do that is when you see the smaller, terminal leaflet form at the top of the newest growth. When you cut back on water, little round, pea like bumps will appear along the canes, both new and older canes. Even leafless ones. Once those bumps have appeared and start to swell, resume watering. Those buds appear fairly quickly.
They love a cooler, dry rest like I said to promote bud formation. When actively growing provide lots of water and fertilizer. You could feed at every watering. preferred temperature range 60-82, maybe 85F. They need more water when it gets too warm. I grew them well in Florida which at face value seems to contradict what I said about temperature but I balanced that out by more water, more shade and fans!!

These guys are fairly easy to grow with a few basics.
ALL Dendrobiums like to be tightly potted, the smaller the pot the better.
For nobiles, do not cut back on water, with hold water entirely. The time to do that is when you see the smaller, terminal leaflet form at the top of the newest growth. When you cut back on water, little round, pea like bumps will appear along the canes, both new and older canes. Even leafless ones. Once those bumps have appeared and start to swell, resume watering. Those buds appear fairly quickly.
They love a cooler, dry rest like I said to promote bud formation. When actively growing provide lots of water and fertilizer. You could feed at every watering. preferred temperature range 60-82, maybe 85F. They need more water when it gets too warm. I grew them well in Florida which at face value seems to contradict what I said about temperature but I balanced that out by more water, more shade and fans!!
Great info, thank you!! Sounds like it's time to cut water then, because I just noticed the terminal leaf yesterday on the newest growth looking close to complete. I'll stick it in my cooler spot. It's hard to see in the picture, but it's in almost a comically tiny pot, I just have it in the black one for support so it doesn't tip over.

Latest posts

Back