First multifloral paph!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morja

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This lovely little paph philippinense ('Tokyo Twister' x 'Germany Select') came in the mail almost a week ago- with a spike to boot, which is fun! The flowers are of course a bit beat up after a USPS journey from Florida to Montana, but overall the plant appears healthy. I usually repot new things immediately, but I am hesitant because this is in bigger bark/perlite/charcoal chunks than I currently have on hand. I nested it immediately in another glass pot to keep some humidity at the roots as the poor plant is probably wondering where all the humid Florida air went! (I've also noticed that othe paphs thrive in a well drained nested pot situation, and with lower humidity levels this may be a key practice for me).
This one appears to be a compact grower. We'll see if it stays that way!
Any input on culture is welcome. It is getting a little partially filtered afternoon light where it is, as well as being on the edge of my grow lights. When it's not so tall with a spike I will put it closer in to the cattleyas and monitor leaf color.
20240623_130513.jpg
20240623_132302.jpg
20240623_130433.jpg20240622_150944.jpg
20240622_122731.jpg

Looking good! Sounds like you have the right plan.

Coarse media was probably great for Florida conditions, but where you are a more moisture retaining small bark mix would probably work better.

Me personally Morja, I repot every plant that I buy right away. Well 95% of what I acquire. I do so regardless of departure point or vendor location. I am kind of quirky that way. I want to know right from the get go, what the roots look like and I want it growing in my media or mix as soon as possible. I just feel better that way.

Me personally Morja, I repot every plant that I buy right away. Well 95% of what I acquire. I do so regardless of departure point or vendor location. I am kind of quirky that way. I want to know right from the get go, what the roots look like and I want it growing in my media or mix as soon as possible. I just feel better that way.
I agree, thank you! I usually do this, because I learned the hard way with my first couple of online purchases that often things are shipped on the edge of rotting to death. I want to see the roots ASAP! I just wasn't sure if the fine mix I have right now would be okay, so I wanted to post first. I don't have room to store much in my current life setup, so I don't want to buy another size mix right now if I can help it. The finer mix bag I have is giant and fills up almost my entire storage space of orchid things!
That said I think I will repot today!!

@big923cattleya Good thing I repotted!
Not the worst root system I've ever seen, but not the greatest either, and quite a few dead ones.
20240628_124611.jpg
I didn't want to overpot, but I also saw the beginning of a couple new growths and wanted them to have at least a little room.
20240628_124646.jpg
Also, with the shorter root system, I could fit it in a short deli container with drainage holes, nested in a taller one with some rocks on the bottom. Its own personal humidity tray, if you will.
20240628_140324.jpg
This is not typically what I would choose, as I prefer to have a little more depth, but everything else I had available to me this size was just so deep (the size of the nest pot) that I wasn't sure about it. I will repot it within the year if I need to, if it's not liking this shallowness- or if I learn here that this was a horrible idea! I'm sticking to clear containers because I am inexperienced and like seeing what the roots are doing.
The other option was to do a tall deli container, and fill the bottom 1/4-1/3 with rocks. Probably should have done that to give roots more room to reach down... hmm.

Latest posts

Back