Greetings from Madeira!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am and American who moved to Madeira Island, Portugal nearly 2 years ago. I left my orchid collection behind and was in the process of moving my collection here when the heater went out on my friend's greenhouse (in Vermont, in winter) and most of the plants died. So I'm starting over!

There have been a few posts here about Paph. insigne in Madeira, and I can confirm that they are everywhere at Christmas time. I have picked up quite a few plants. Most are of 2 clones (1 short one for pots and one tall one for cutting) that have been divided and divided again for more than century and appear on nearly every doorstep. There are quite a few species and early hybrids of Paphs, Stanhopea, Cymbidium, Phrags, and Begonias still in circulation here. Early plant hunters and collectors would stop here on their way to and from Europe and plenty of plants were left behind. There have also been wealthy English families here for centuries and their early hybrid plants clearly traveled with them from England when they wintered in Madeira. It's really an orchid paradise here. I have Paphs, Catlleyas, Phals, Vandas, Disas and Cymbidiums all doing well outside on account of our very mild weather. It's never hot, never cold, and always humid. Our water is essential RO quality out of the tap. I'm in heaven after living in Vermont for the last decade!

I am learning about European orchid suppliers and shows and I welcome any pointers. I have probably placed orders with most that have an online presence, but I am always seeking other sources, particularly in the EU. I like (and need) all Paphs, but I have a soft spot for teacup hybrids and I've done a bit of breeding in that realm.

I recognize lots of names and faces here from the US and I look forward to meeting more of you on this side of the ocean!

Thanks!
Bailey

05a647d7-4811-4f8e-8ca2-2c0ec7c94dfc 2.JPG

Hey Bailey, welcome aboard from Spain. I lived in VT as well for 12 years, where I grew under lights. It's lovely to grow outdoors now, and I am still discovering which species do best under my conditions. I have to admit, I'm more than a little envious of your situation there. Sounds close to orchid growing paradise!

Here's a less than glamorous shot of the collection on my west facing terrace. Around 200+ different species and hybrids so far, totaling somewhere near 400 plants.
orchid corner.jpg

Latest posts

Back