Lazy Update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is an update with photos and nothing else. If you Wana know more about a certain image just ask. Also the kovachii roots are great and a phaph that had to go in an 8" pot: scary times with space!!!Screenshot_20240730_145230_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240730_145235_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145235_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145250_Gallery.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240730_145259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145259_Gallery.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145321_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145321_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145350_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145350_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240730_145418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145418_Gallery.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145503_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145503_Gallery.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145512_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145512_Gallery.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 0
More photos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240730_145523_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145523_Gallery.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145541_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20240730_145554_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145554_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20240730_145616_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145616_Gallery.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240730_145635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145635_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20240730_145639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145639_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240730_145705_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730_145705_Gallery.jpg
Those are some nice roots!
It's encouraging to see good growth and blooms in conditions likely similar to mine (Montana/Idaho indoors under lights).
I love blooms, but I think my favorite part of orchids is watching them grow and get beefy, and the satisfaction of a well-grown plant. The blooms are icing on the cake.

Those are some nice roots!
It's encouraging to see good growth and blooms in conditions likely similar to mine (Montana/Idaho indoors under lights).
I love blooms, but I think my favorite part of orchids is watching them grow and get beefy, and the satisfaction of a well-grown plant. The blooms are icing on the cake.
I honestly couldn't agree more!!!!

I love that you posted pics of roots, not just blooms. Those are definitely roots to be proud of. I haven't bloomed a paph yet but watching that new leaf start to peak out is so exciting and addicting, I don't really care if they ever bloom. And now that I have so summarily dismissed blooms, what is the pretty little white paph? 😂It is very sweet with that faint pink lip.

I love that you posted pics of roots, not just blooms. Those are definitely roots to be proud of. I haven't bloomed a paph yet but watching that new leaf start to peak out is so exciting and addicting, I don't really care if they ever bloom. And now that I have so summarily dismissed blooms, what is the pretty little white paph? 😂It is very sweet with that faint pink lip.
Hahaha paphiopedilums are definitely not the plant to over obsess about as they grow so dam slow lmao 😆 🤣: you may need to get into anthuriums if you like foliage. However being a smart ass aside, was by no means trying to make fun or anything, but I do get what you are saying about roots and leafs. The soup containers make that so much more fun as you can see them. Wait till you get to the point of geting not one, not two, but three new growths on a rothschildianum or even a paphiopedilum in general. It's is so exciting. The white paphiopedilum was a miss label that was from ebay. It seems quite vigorous as it put out a new growth with flowers.
It was small enough to keep in my collection in a 2 inch pot.

I keep hearing that paphs grow slowly. It sure seems that way! But when you look at them every few hours it is difficult to notice any changes. 😂 But look what I discovered last night! Please tell me it is a spike and not rot. Thanks for the inspiration and suggestions. I'll be looking into soup container culture and anthuriums today. Don't know what you were hoping for with the ebay purchase but that little paph doesn't seem too disappointing. 😊

Attachments

• 2024-7-31 8-52-13.jpg
    2024-7-31 8-52-13.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 1
Hahaha paphiopedilums are definitely not the plant to over obsess about as they grow so dam slow lmao 😆 🤣: you may need to get into anthuriums if you like foliage. However being a smart ass aside, was by no means trying to make fun or anything, but I do get what you are saying about roots and leafs. The soup containers make that so much more fun as you can see them. Wait till you get to the point of geting not one, not two, but three new growths on a rothschildianum or even a paphiopedilum in general. It's is so exciting. The white paphiopedilum was a miss label that was from ebay. It seems quite vigorous as it put out a new growth with flowers.
It was small enough to keep in my collection in a 2 inch pot.
The pot with all the fat roots is a soup container? It looks to be quite sturdy and begs the query, what kind of soup? I may have to quit doin home made soup LOL!

The pot with all the fat roots is a soup container? It looks to be quite sturdy and begs the query, what kind of soup? I may have to quit doin home made soup LOL!
I just realized I have a very similar soup container as a pot for one of my baby phrags 😂😂😂😂 Or maybe mine was a container of store bought potato salad! Deli food is a good source of containers lol
20240801_073853.jpg

It's a fact that paphiopedilum grow very slowly! I often wonder if it's really possible to grow the amount of roots I regularly see in the photos on this forum using only mineral fertilizer. I've been growing paphios for about fifteen years now and I've noticed that when I change the substrate of my plants, the density of the roots is never as great as what I see in the photos of certain forum members. This is the reason for my questioning. For your information: in Belgium, the sale of anything containing growth hormones is forbidden - it's a dilemma! So no seaweed, Superthrive or other mixtures containing products that promote root development and growth.

I do not find that all Paphiopedilum grow slowly. For most plants that might be true but I have found over the last 6+ years, under lights, Brachypetalums seem to go against that notion.
I feel that niveum, bellatulum, concolor and delenatii grow pretty well. They seem to respond well if their needs are met. Proper light and water seem to be important in getting that growth. I just have not had enough clones of leucochilum, godefroyae and thaianum to proclaim them to be ‘quicker growers’.
I am sure that fertilization plays a vital role as well. Hybrids of niveum and the others also seem to do just fine as well.

It is worth noting too that while delenatii grows well for me under lights, delenatii ‘alba’ does not! Interesting. 🤔

I do not find that all Paphiopedilum grow slowly. For most plants that might be true but I have found over the last 6+ years, under lights, Brachypetalums seem to go against that notion.
I feel that niveum, bellatulum, concolor and delenatii grow pretty well. They seem to respond well if their needs are met. Proper light and water seem to be important in getting that growth. I just have not had enough clones of leucochilum, godefroyae and thaianum to proclaim them to be ‘quicker growers’.
I am sure that fertilization plays a vital role as well. Hybrids of niveum and the others also seem to do just fine as well.

It is worth noting too that while delenatii grows well for me under lights, delenatii ‘alba’ does not! Interesting. 🤔
When you say that slow growth isn't true for everyone, does that mean it's true for most? Could you elaborate on what you mean by a question of fertilization? What kind of fertilizer (with or without urea), concentration and frequency would you recommend?

Well due to the fact that I grow under lights and summer most plants out doors, there are only so many orchids that I can grow. Therefore I stick to smaller growing orchids for he most part. I have tried Rothchild types, I have tried Phrags but for my conditions, I grow mainly Brachypetalum species and hybrids. I do well with Paphiopedilum sukhakulii, coloratum type things, and a few others. Most do very well under my lights. If you research the Brachypetalum group there are several species listed, of those, I mentioned the ones that seem to do better for me.
Just recently I am trying a few clones of P. armeniacum and P. micranthum. I have only had those for a couple of months ,way too short to have any opinion about them under lights. But that is what orchid growing is like. You can get caught in a trap where you want to try everything that you see. But that has limited rewards. You really need to take a few years to understand what type of conditions that you can provide and select plants for those conditions. Your success rate will be much higher that way. You do not buy cool growing orchids unless you can provide the "cool"!
Growth rates for everybody's Slippers are different. Some people grow them all well while some people can't grow them at all. It takes experience to recognize which is which.
Now when it comes to fertilizers, it depends again on what you grow and where you grow them. But for the last 9, maybe 10 years, my plants in general are not doing as well as they have. In the past, I have noticed that orchids in my care have done that before. It is like they get tired of the same old fertilizer. If I switch up fertilizers, the plants respond with better growth and more flowers. But this is just seemingly what noticed with my plants. But I am going to make a change real soon. I am going to switch over to First Ray's fertilizers, both the k-lite and kelpak. One is a fertilizer, the other a tonic of sorts. But I will order that after Labor Day. I am in the midst of planning a trip out to the Dakotas with my son around Labor Day. We are going to the Badlands, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore.

Well due to the fact that I grow under lights and summer most plants out doors, there are only so many orchids that I can grow. Therefore I stick to smaller growing orchids for he most part. I have tried Rothchild types, I have tried Phrags but for my conditions, I grow mainly Brachypetalum species and hybrids. I do well with Paphiopedilum sukhakulii, coloratum type things, and a few others. Most do very well under my lights. If you research the Brachypetalum group there are several species listed, of those, I mentioned the ones that seem to do better for me.
Just recently I am trying a few clones of P. armeniacum and P. micranthum. I have only had those for a couple of months ,way too short to have any opinion about them under lights. But that is what orchid growing is like. You can get caught in a trap where you want to try everything that you see. But that has limited rewards. You really need to take a few years to understand what type of conditions that you can provide and select plants for those conditions. Your success rate will be much higher that way. You do not buy cool growing orchids unless you can provide the "cool"!
Growth rates for everybody's Slippers are different. Some people grow them all well while some people can't grow them at all. It takes experience to recognize which is which.
Now when it comes to fertilizers, it depends again on what you grow and where you grow them. But for the last 9, maybe 10 years, my plants in general are not doing as well as they have. In the past, I have noticed that orchids in my care have done that before. It is like they get tired of the same old fertilizer. If I switch up fertilizers, the plants respond with better growth and more flowers. But this is just seemingly what noticed with my plants. But I am going to make a change real soon. I am going to switch over to First Ray's fertilizers, both the k-lite and kelpak. One is a fertilizer, the other a tonic of sorts. But I will order that after Labor Day. I am in the midst of planning a trip out to the Dakotas with my son around Labor Day. We are going to the Badlands, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore.
Big923cattleya, I am jealous of your 50 years of learning. Even if I make it to a centenarian I won't have 50 years to accumulate knowledge. I came to orchids much too late in life. Thank you for sharing all your accumulated wisdom. And for the reminder that the skill to grow orchids comes with time. Maybe it grows at the same pace paphs grow. 😊 Happy travels.

Big923cattleya, I am jealous of your 50 years of learning. Even if I make it to a centenarian I won't have 50 years to accumulate knowledge. I came to orchids much too late in life. Thank you for sharing all your accumulated wisdom. And for the reminder that the skill to grow orchids comes with time. Maybe it grows at the same pace paphs grow. 😊 Happy travels.
50 years is not needed. Research into your plants is the best method.

Why did I think you said you had been growing for 50 years?? My apologies. Regardless, research and patience will hopefully make me a better grower. 🤞

I have been growing for 50 years, since 1974. But I agree, 50 years do not mean much if you do not pay attention to your plants.
It is learning, evaluating your plants, your successes, your failures. I think that orchid growing is a blend of knowledge, from books, from research and from practical experience.
If you rely on research only, that is great. But as a great grower told me years ago, "Orchids can't read!!"

Back