Light levels by foot candles

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
For those who have grown slipper orchids under lights for a while, please tell us about the light levels by foot candles for slipper orchids.
When people talk about light levels, they often just say shade, medium light or bright light, but that just doesn't mean much since everyone might have different definitions. I understand the light meters may not be 100% accurate...but by fc, it will be easier to understand.

The AOS guides are reasonably good for the peak, noon FC's plants can handle. For paphs, they say 1000-1500 fc. That would translate to 12 hours of artificial light at 500-750.

Thank you, Ray. I think I am cooking my Paphs at the current light level I am giving to them under HID light, based on the numbers you gave me...
Currently my plants are receiving 1000-2500fc...It is a new setup in the basement and I can hang the light higher to reduce the light levels...
In my head, I thought the light level for Paphs would be 800-1500fc under artificial light...

Other opinions or experiences are welcome.

Last edited:
I agree completely. 800 to 1,500 for the vast majority of slippers. The biggest two exceptions that come to mind are what I got used to calling ‘strap leaved Paphs. Roth’s, et.al way back when. Some growers claim that Cattleya like light is good for them. But I don’t grow a lot, just too BIG for under my lights. From what I gather, some Phrags take more then 1,500 ft. Candles. Maybe not Cattleya light at 3,000, but more light then little slippers.

Thank you, Ray. I think I am cooking my Paphs at the current light level I am giving to them under HID light, based on the numbers you gave me...
Currently my plants are receiving 1000-2500fc...It is a new setup in the basement and I can hang the light higher to reduce the light levels...
In my head, I thought the light level for Paphs would be 800-1500fc under artificial light...

Other opinions or experiences are welcome.
When using lights at a constant output you have to consider the hours per day. How many hours per day are your lights on?
As long as your foot candle rating isn't more intense than the leaves will tolerate with showing damage your not hurting the plants....just wasting electricity.
2500 foot candles is basically the maximum light in a greenhouse with 75% shade.

Latest posts

Back