New Guppies: Red Platinum Dumbos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always like a tank with live plants rather than the plastic junk. Nice looking fish although I was more of a gourami man myself. At one time I used to breed dwarf, giant, pearl, blue and honey’s. It’s cool to see the male building the nest out of bubbles and the mating process. The floating live plant material also gave the fry a place to hide out.

SO.... not so uncommon how many orchid enthusiasts also are into tropical fish as well........
I am jealous at how many species, and varieties of fish Dr. Leslie can get that we cannot here in the states...
while i don't keep them, some of the most amazing color morphs of arowana's there are up in Canada, most coming from the Asia marketplace.

here are 3 pics of my asian imported fish first two are Koi guppies last one a Plakat betta..

Attachments

• 20240904_085014.jpg
    20240904_085014.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240904_085016.jpg
    20240904_085016.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240904_085102.jpg
    20240904_085102.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 0
a fellow down in Petersburg Virginia.... new to the hobby i think?
He joined the James River Aquaium Society recently, and I have been pushing him to come to their Fall All Day Auction (10/19/24) News will be forthcoming on the clubs websites..
He is bringing them in from a friend in Asia, and he is actively breeding them as well....
I have also asked him to put together a powerpoint on his breeding program for our club

I always like a tank with live plants rather than the plastic junk. Nice looking fish although I was more of a gourami man myself. At one time I used to breed dwarf, giant, pearl, blue and honey’s. It’s cool to see the male building the nest out of bubbles and the mating process. The floating live plant material also gave the fry a place to hide out.
I used to breed crowntail bettas and love their bubble nests too.

I use to raise and breed African Cichlids.
Very rewarding.
I had the Lyretail cichlid's breeding and I traded the young in every 6 months or so. I negotiated a price in turn for dry goods, food, tonics, etc. It was a lot of fun. My aquarium was a 70 gallon long profile tank featuring lots of rocks, caves and crevices. I remember that my Lyretails liked to lay eggs in 3" plain, clay flower pots that were on their sides. The Lamprologus, (can not remember exact spelling) used rock crevices as nesting sites. Really cool!
I also tried Electric Blue Cichlids. they were in another tank, a 125 gallon long tank. I was never successful in breeding those. They were a bit more pricey then the other 2. I bought four juveniles, one turned out male, the other three female. But they were so demanding in terms of water chemistry. Never worked out.
But the Lyretails bred like rabbits!!! I want to say that they yielded about $300 dollars a year in trades with the local fish store/pet shop.

Wonderful hobby. Gave it up in 2009 when I moved to Florida.

Latest posts

Back