Paph philippinense - five spikes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
phillipinense-2024-2.jpg

phillipinense-2024.jpg

Wow, what a plant! How old is it?

I would have had it at least 15 years, maybe closer to 20. It was given to me by a local club member, and it was a multi-growth plant when I got it. It is a very compact plant. The leaves wouldn't be much bigger than say an esquirolei. Still gets 4 to 5 flowers on a spike.

Not my favorite species.... but when it looks like that, everybody loves it! Well done, David!

Wow, I hope you have a judging center near you. It looks award worthy to me. I love specimen plants.

We have our Spring show in just over two weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think it will last until then. The petals are starting to dry out on some spikes. I think it will be past its best by the show.

What are you growing conditions and care routine like? I was under the impression that this species likes higher light levels than most Paphs and has a strong preference for warm / hot temperatures, does that sound correct? What's your watering routine like?

These do well for me for awhile, then it seems like they struggle for awhile, then at random they pick up again. So I'm thinking I have things mostly right in terms of care, but there's room for improvement.

To say your specimen is amazing is an understatement.

What are you growing conditions and care routine like? I was under the impression that this species likes higher light levels than most Paphs and has a strong preference for warm / hot temperatures, does that sound correct? What's your watering routine like?

These do well for me for awhile, then it seems like they struggle for awhile, then at random they pick up again. So I'm thinking I have things mostly right in terms of care, but there's room for improvement.

To say your specimen is amazing is an understatement.

Thanks. I actually increased the light levels this season by taking off a layer of shade cloth. This worked well with a much better flowering. So, during winter, I just had a layer of 50% aluminet on the greenhouse. As it warms up, I add a layer of 70% shade cloth. I have a minimum temperature of around 15oC throughout the year and maximum temps are in the high 20's during winter and up to mid 30's during summer. I would water once a week in water and every 4 or 5 days days in summer.

I find philippinense clumps really well, especially compared to other multi-floral species which I can find hard to multiply quickly.

Latest posts

Back