Paphiopedilum Joyce Hasegawa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This cross is delenatii x emersonii.

The flowers are a nice size and remind be of fluffy pillows or clouds. It is slightly fragrant, like citrus and roses The dorsal is a bit wonky likely from the emersonii. For the life of me I can not find the picture of its last blooming to see if the dorsal was the same.

20241020_210603.jpg20241020_210552.jpg

Every time I see this particular hybrid I love the same thing over and over. In this breeding, I like the puffiness of the flower sure but I really enjoy the color at the flowers center. The soft pink pouch, the red bars of the staminode with that bright yellow central spot. I just find that so appealing and quite attractive! I like this a lot Dj. Very nice!
That little twist to the dorsal just adds to its overall charm. 🥰 💕

Darlene, that's such a gorgeous plant and even more stunning flower, well grown!
I particularly like the contrast of the saturated staminode against the rest of the segments.

@CharlesD - I grow most of my collection grows outdoors from late spring through early fall, depending on the weather in Northeast Ohio. During warm weather, most of my paphs receive the following care: morning sun followed by bright shade for the remainder of the day, and watered 2-3 times a week, depending on rainfall. This summer, I experimented with a time-release fertilizer by Greencare due to the intense rainfall early in the season limiting my ability to fertilize. Greencare makes a MSU style slow release fertilzer. Once nighttime temperatures consistently drop into the low 50s/high 40s, I move the plant indoors under LED lights with a 11-13 hour day/night cycle. Watering is reduced to 1-2 times per week, with fertilizer targeting 80-100 ppm nitrogen - I rotate K-Lite and Peter's Excel. I also flush with plain water every 4-6 weeks. In the winter my indoor grow room, daytime temperatures are in the mid-70s, with nighttime temperatures in the mid to high 50s. My indoor water source is reverse osmosis (RO) water with 10-20% well water added back. In the summer, I use well water outside. While the water quality is ok, it is not great. the rain balances out any water quality issues I have.

I prefer Kiwi bark but shipping cost have tremendously increased the price. At the moment I have a surplus of Orchiata that I am working through. Until a few years ago, I was using Rexiux orchid bark, and it was just fine also. Rexius does not last as long as Kiwi or Orchiata, but I typically repot before the mix breaks down. I aim to repot my Phrags and non-multifloral paphs every 12-18 months. My fix is bark, perlite, and charcoal. Some times I throw in oyster shells. I think it helps; and if it does not, it certainly is not hurting anything.

Nicely grown, Darlene.
I had this hybrid before(almost 20 years ago)...it bloomed then died soon after...and it was an awardable clone too.
Well, thats a bummer. The one has bloomed several time and seems to be pretty hardy. Maybe the new delenatii contributes to that. This one has been with me for about 7 years and has been fairly easy to grow.

Well, thats a bummer. The one has bloomed several time and seems to be pretty hardy. Maybe the new delenatii contributes to that. This one has been with me for about 7 years and has been fairly easy to grow.
I think I have better luck with species...those Paphs (just a few) that I lost in the past were all hybrids, including an award-quality P. Sander's Pride that I lost about the same time I lost my JH.

@CharlesD - I grow most of my collection grows outdoors from late spring through early fall, depending on the weather in Northeast Ohio. During warm weather, most of my paphs receive the following care: morning sun followed by bright shade for the remainder of the day, and watered 2-3 times a week, depending on rainfall. This summer, I experimented with a time-release fertilizer by Greencare due to the intense rainfall early in the season limiting my ability to fertilize. Greencare makes a MSU style slow release fertilzer. Once nighttime temperatures consistently drop into the low 50s/high 40s, I move the plant indoors under LED lights with a 11-13 hour day/night cycle. Watering is reduced to 1-2 times per week, with fertilizer targeting 80-100 ppm nitrogen - I rotate K-Lite and Peter's Excel. I also flush with plain water every 4-6 weeks. In the winter my indoor grow room, daytime temperatures are in the mid-70s, with nighttime temperatures in the mid to high 50s. My indoor water source is reverse osmosis (RO) water with 10-20% well water added back. In the summer, I use well water outside. While the water quality is ok, it is not great. the rain balances out any water quality issues I have.

I prefer Kiwi bark but shipping cost have tremendously increased the price. At the moment I have a surplus of Orchiata that I am working through. Until a few years ago, I was using Rexiux orchid bark, and it was just fine also. Rexius does not last as long as Kiwi or Orchiata, but I typically repot before the mix breaks down. I aim to repot my Phrags and non-multifloral paphs every 12-18 months. My fix is bark, perlite, and charcoal. Some times I throw in oyster shells. I think it helps; and if it does not, it certainly is not hurting anything.
@Djthomp28 thank you very much for the detailed info! I have a similar situation. I did find my compots and small seedlings did better under the lights vs outdoors - I struggled striking the right balance of light outdoors. Sounds like you have a good set up to get just morning sun.

I also have pretty decent well water and a small RO unit I’m hoping to upgrade. I have been using 20-20-20 and 30-10-10 with a mix of urea, ammonium and nitrate nitrogen this year to test outthe results. So far so good, biggest thing is maybe a few longer and narrower leaves. I did just get the water tested and it has very little micros so I’m going to supplement those with a blend similar to what Xavier suggests.

I use orchiata currently used to use rexius but agree it doesn’t last. Trying kiwi bark currently. I tend to find the plants drop a few leaves when freshly repotted in orchiata then start to look a lot better after 6 months or so. I do wonder if the other barks start at a more optimal pH than the fresh orchiata. But will see how I get on adding more micros as that could have been the reason. Thinking I will also rotate a little cal-mag here and there but my water has a decent amount of Ca and Mg so I think I’m mostly ok there.

So many variables at play… but it looks like your system works excellently! I’ve also been a fan of the rain water outdoors- the plants do seem to thrive as long as it doesn’t go for 5 days in a row!

Latest posts

Back