Paphiopedilum tranlienianum in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxcanh

Reaction score
A wrong calculation for blooming time, it is a bit unlucky.
I do hope that I could come back when it bloom.

1CXC_6826.jpg

1CXC_6779.jpg

1CXC_6838.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I would say you were a week early, a tranlianianum flower carpet cover of a forest floor would look cool

By the way, in the last picture, are they growing on completely vertical rock face?? No wonder these need perfect drainge and ample moisture at the same time.

Yes, truly beautiful scenes.
Thanks!

Is it always dripping wet like this CX?

Yes

This vertical habitat looks hard on the knees!

By the way, in the last picture, are they growing on completely vertical rock face?? No wonder these need perfect drainge and ample moisture at the same time.

Yes, truly beautiful scenes.
Thanks!

Yes, they grow on vertical rock, this species have almost the same way grow with Paph helenae and P.henryanum

Very interesting pictures. I can see that the flowering plant doesn't have that many leaves left. Dried dead leaves are still intact. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the pics, I would say you were a week early, a tranlianianum flower carpet cover of a forest floor would look cool

More like a month, not a week.

Thanks for sharing!
Always great natural scenes.

If my plant is any indication, I would say more like 2.5-3 months.

Neat to see them in the wild, now I know how to display my little guy at shows :).

My tran. is languishing in a pot. I wonder if the poor thing
might do better mounted with sphag. I've also been trying
to find a slab of limestone around here somewhere, but this
is sandstone country and limestone is hard to find.

Now I am starting to understand why they seem to prefer basket culture rather than pots. Any that are still not planted in baskets are going into baskets today.
Thank you for sharing these pictures with us.

My tran. is languishing in a pot. I wonder if the poor thing
might do better mounted with sphag. I've also been trying
to find a slab of limestone around here somewhere, but this
is sandstone country and limestone is hard to find.

How did a Kentuckian manage to find the only patch of sandstone in the state Angela:confused:

Over the years I've not had any long term success with them in both pots and baskets. I had a short term bump with the low K for a couple of years, but at that time I was still in the higher N levels than now, and those handful of blooming plants died.

I have about 30 or so seedlings from a breeding about 5 years ago. Out of compot for only about a year now. They arrived in very poor condition and lost almost half of them. They are all in shallow trays of CHC mix, and growing very quickly with the new regime of daily waterings with weak nutrients and lemon juice. A few are pushing 5" across already.:wink:

You got me on that one Rick. I've been scouting for
limestone in our general area and sandstone and some
granite (as in counter tops) are the only stone I've found
so far. My next move is contacting the counter top company to see if they have any rough limestone pieces
as leftovers.

Good luck with that shallow tray! If you ever have one or two for
sale and I find some limestone, we're in business.

Latest posts

Back