Difficulties in growing Kovachii (Stagnant growth)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might be able to find calcium hydroxide to raise the fertilizer pH.
But first check the pH of your fertilizer water drainage after it flows through your new substrate with the chicken calcium added . The acidic fertilizer will react to the calcium and probably raise the pH.

The problem is the water.___., I know that lowering the pH is simple, with things like a lemon. But how do I make it more alkaline?
I use 1/8 tsp powdered calcium carbonate soaked in a gallon of ro water for a day or more. pH will rise up to around 7.7 as the carbonate dissolves and turns into a bicarbonate. I usually get 30 to 40 ppm with occasional stirring. Not all powder will dissolve at that pH. I use that water to flush my pots. Flushing is not as effective as soaking the whole pot with that water. 20 to 30 mins soaking works well. Also when soaking, you can check the resulting pH of the water right away.
Hope that helps.
I think you can also use garden marble stones instead of limestones.

I think this Ca /lime/dolomit/oyster question is overmystificated....I grow mine in pure rockwool without any added Ca source in the mix. First , all are useless as Ca source if pH is over 6,0, second, ca supplementation is better if we use some solubile form, eg. CaCl2. Optimal pH is for nutritients uptake is 5,8. Kovachii is just very sensitiv for acidification around its roots, added lime, oyster etc. is good for just protection, they can act like buffer if pH drops below 5,8. Here few pics of mine growing in RW, only problem here is high temperature in summer, in hot days with around 33 C peak. They tolerate this well, but optimal would be 22-25 C.IMG_20240729_084018.jpgIMG_20240729_084000.jpgIMG_20240729_083928.jpg

The problem is the water.___., I know that lowering the pH is simple, with things like a lemon. But how do I make it more alkaline?
Ammonium hydroxide will work. Spirits of ammonia. Just be careful. Vapors are very bad and will burn you. Probably only needs a few drops. Also gives a bit of nitrogen fertilizer.

I have managed to keep kovachii alive for more than a year now except for recent heat wave above 33, one growth decided to abort.
Humidity constantly @65%
Mix of small bark chopped moss n crushed egg shells. N weekly bottom watering.
Though I do find they grow very slow.

Attachments

• PXL_20240729_154342011.jpg
    PXL_20240729_154342011.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back