Orchids 2024

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: I count 8 plants here; are all in bud?

Another question: I think you’re selling yourself short with the comments about “poor indoor culture” or whatever; I grow indoors and have not tackled this species. I would love to see photos showing your conditions in situ.

Question: I count 8 plants here; are all in bud?

Another question: I think you’re selling yourself short with the comments about “poor indoor culture” or whatever; I grow indoors and have not tackled this species. I would love to see photos showing your conditions in situ.

Thanks for the kind words. Of these 8, 3 or 4 are in bud.. Hoping for flowers by January or so.

I just grow on light stands with LED lights. These plants are on a stand in front of a west-facing window, so they get a lot of sun throughout the year.

Just checked out the OL site, not familiar with the compact form of lowii.

I find with lowii they can bloom on relatively small plants, but over the course of years and depending on the clone, they eventually get pretty big.

So if there is a new strain that stays smaller that would be a good thing.
About 15 years ago, I remember seeing at the Montreal botanical garden a very compact form of lowii. The leaves were erected and the flower/plant ratio was just perfect. The clone was called Paphiopedilum lowiii 'Susy' ......thats all I remember. If anyone has more infos, I would be interested to hear about it.
Cheers,
Mathieu

Leslie, how serious a flaw (as far as judging) are horns? And once a plant shows a flower with them, will it continue to?
If the horns are tiny and not visible upfront, it may not be a major flaw (depends on the team).

However if it is in front and looks like a wart and show up in pictures as unbalanced, it will be passed.

Back